[vb_main_1]

Something's getting stuck somewhere

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something's getting stuck somewhere

I'm having a non-BSR free motion quilting problem that's got me stumped. My #29 clear foot and I are going happily along at a reasonable speed doing pretty even stitches and then it all goes horribly wrong. The quilt resists moving, I make teeny tiny stitches as if the top thread is jammed then WHOOSH, off we go again but usually in the wrong direction after having taken a a rather long stitch. It doesn't matter what kind of design or what direction I'm going.

This only happens when I am doing free motion quilting; not when I'm pieceing or using the walking foot.

I always do a test run on a quilt sandwich to make any adjustments before going to the project. I mainly use Superior threads and begin by following Bob's advice as to needle and tension. This problem happens with 100% cotton, polyesters, metallics, and glitters. Bottonline is in the bobbin.

These are the things I checked, rechecked and adjusted:

Machine cleaned and oiled
    using supreme slider
    feed dogs down
    straight stitch plate
    new needles
    tension adjustments
    presser foot pressure reduced to almost 0
    machine stable in cabinet
    no basting spray
    metallic thread quide
    bobbin threaded through finger (or not)
    bobbin tension

I had DH watch the thread come of the spool while I sewed to determine if thread was getting hung up anywhere.

I get fooled into thinking I've got it right using the quilt sandwich and go to the project but it eventually happens again.

Need more suggestions or tips. :?

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

The only other thing I can see here might be a humidity problem. Try putting on the air conditioner or a dehumidifier for about 20 minutes and see if that changes.

After that there could be a problem with the thread or there could be a problem with the machine. Try with a new spool of thread (wind the bobbin from the same spool). If it's a thread problem send Bob and email and they'll take care of the thread.

If it's a problem with the machine then take it in for servicing. Bring your quilt in for them to see what's happening as you're stitching. If they see what's happening it'll be easier for them to diagnose any problems.

Question for you...what kind of batting are you using?

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

The first thing I thought of was the thread dropping down and wrapping around the spindle. That happens to me sometimes. I found using one of the thread trees help. I guess this is not the problem though since you said you DH watched to see if it was getting caught. :cry:
      Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

What kind of table are you quilting on? This sounds like my most difficult problem in free-motion quilting---keeping the quilt from catching on the edge of my table. I have a "sew steady" portable table which has smooth edges on the top of the edge, but the bottom of the edge is not rounded and the quilt always catches on the front or the corner. I am hoping that I can figure out how to conquer this problem as I get more practice. It catches even without safety pins or basting tacks. I have been thinking about taping a piece of cardboard or something to the top so the quilt has a "ramp" to slide up instead.

Comment

Humidity is a possibility since the weather changed this week. I don't have a dehumidifier. This is the first summer DH and I have been sharing the same office/studio space too. We have been talking about how to make this one room more comfortable for both of us since we spend so much time in it.

I am using warm and natural as the batting.

Since I am trying to test this problem for all possible conditions, I've used a variety of different threads, some of them not Superior but Mettler, Gutterman, and Madeira which are the standard brands here.

I have also considered that the quilt is getting hung up somewhere but the problem happens with my practice sandwich AND a small tester sandwich.

My machine is only 2 months old . Somehow I broke the needle threader little wire thingie and have resisted taking it to the dealer to have it repaired. I guess I will create a better sample of what's going on and take the machine into Lausanne. At least he speaks English and I have a better chance of explaining myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Libbi
            h.

My machine is only 2 months old . Somehow I broke the needle threader little wire thingie and have resisted taking it to the dealer to have it repaired. I guess I will create a better sample of what's going on and take the machine into Lausanne. At least he speaks English and I have a better chance of explaining myself.
            you might have a fragment of the wire in there somewhere..I think I'd get it checked out pretty quickly.

Comment

Libbi ...Quite a while ago Bernina had a post on their site about machines stopping and then racing and then going back to the regular speed. You need to contact your dealer and they can get a fix for the problem. Nan aka Nanguilts

Comment

Libbi: I founBSR / Aurora Update Information

Dear Bernina Owner,

There are two software updates currently available through your Authorized Bernina Dealer.

One is for aurora machines and the other for BSR feet

The aurora update for models 430 / 440 is recommended for all machines and provides some corrections and enhancements, namely in speed control.
                the BSR update applies to the BSR foot itself when used on any compatible model ( 430 / 440 / 630 / 640 / 200 / 730 ). It corrects an issue where occasional rapid stitching may occur while stippling. The issue appears in less than 5% of BSR feet and only under certain conditions. If you have experienced this issue and/or if you want to update your BSR foot to the latest software version, contact your local Authorized Bernina dealer.
                We hope this will help answer any question or concern you may have regarding your aurora and/or BSR foot.

The Internet Team at Bernina of America

d this information on Bernina USA.com

Hope this helps to find the problem
                Nan

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 311 users online. 0 members and 311 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X