[vb_main_1]

Starting and Stopping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting and Stopping

So I've got about 100 hrs of free motion behind me on my Juki, and I can see a great improvement in quality, finally! In a class I took on free motion quilting I was taught that when I start I need to bring the bobbin thread to the top so that later I can bury the start threads inside the middle layer. And when I stop I can simply use the Juki thread cutter, no burying of threads necessary. That is what I don't understand... why bury when I start but not when I stop? Won't the stitching begin to unravel at the stopping points unless I do something about them too?

you need to learn the machine quilters knot. It is kind of hard to explain, but I will try
    When you stop, take about 3 stitches in place, then pull your work to the left, holding the thread. Then put the needle back in the same hole, while holding the thread to the left. When you raise your needle, the bobbin thread should come to the top. Then you can cut them both.
    Clear as mud? check on the internet for a video or a better explination
    Roni

Comment

Thanks, Roni, that is a neato trick, and it works great. I think if I take small stiches when I start and stop then I don't need to bury the threads, right, just cut them from the top?

Debbie

Comment

You can do it this way but I had a judge in a show tell me I should bury threads for show quilts. When I'm doing an edge to edge on a customer's quilt, I start and stop at the edge where the binding is going to cover and secure it.
        Eileen K in NY

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

There was a TQS episode in which Ricky demonstrated the machine quilter's knot. I saw it recently but I'm doing catch up on both series. Now I can't remember which episode that was. Does anybody remember?

I need to see it again because it didn't work well for me when I tried it for myself.

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

Originally posted by Libbi
            There was a TQS episode in which Ricky demonstrated the machine quilter's knot. I saw it recently but I'm doing catch up on both series. Now I can't remember which episode that was. Does anybody remember?

I need to see it again because it didn't work well for me when I tried it for myself.
            Sometimes the knot does not work dependig on the thread. If you are using a slippery one like rayon, you will need to tie off and bury the knot the old fashioned way. I still bring my thread up like Ricky demonstrates, I just make sure to have longer tails to tie off and bury. I wish I remembered which show it was too as Ricky did tell about not all threads working for this technique.
            TTFN & Happy Quilting

Comment

It would really be nice if TQS had an Index so we could find where we saw certain tips.

Comment

Yeah to an index. I am always trying to remember which episode contained tips from Ricky or Alex. Since I am doing catch-up, the episode details get muddled in my memory.

Comment

It was in the early 200s. Probably the first two or three. I remember seeing it when I was starting out watching episodes.
                  Frances

Comment

Judy and Libbi,
                    Make your suggestions to the web guru. I think an index would be wonderful!!
                    eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 34 users online. 0 members and 34 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X