[vb_main_1]

John Flynn Quilting Frame

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Flynn Quilting Frame

I have been contemplating purchasing the John Flynn quilting frame, especially after struggling with my current project. I am machine quilting a queen-size quilt and am having a very difficult time managing all the bulk of the quilt. I have a Koala sewing table so I have plenty of support at the level of the machine, both at the side and behind the machine, but it's just so difficult moving it around. I have chosen to just stitch in the ditch as opposed to free-motion quilting because of this problem. I would appreciate anyone's input regarding the John Flynn frame and if it eliminates this problem.

Thanks
    Patricia in AL

Hello Patricia, I use my Flynn for small projects currently (my sewing table is very small) and it works beautifully, especially when I became accostumed to the PVC supports. I quilt my larger project on my New Joy frame.

Stay Stitching, Lissette

Comment

I bought the Flynn frame, and I like it for the most part. I find myself wondering if it's easier to move the machine than the quilt, but since budget and space don't allow a quilting frame, then the Flynn frame is the best choice for me. It does take a little getting used to, but I find I have no more wrinkles in my backings.

Lisa

Comment

I've been intrested in the Flynn Frame for a while now. These are the first positive comments I've heard about it. Anybody else?
        Sherry

Comment

I am very interested in the Flynn frame, but don't have room for the 14' table needed for a queen sized quilt.

Does anyone have any experience in the Easy Quilter II frame?

http://www.easyquilter.com/eq2.htm

Comment

I had a Flynn frame and I think you would be disappointed to use it for large quilts. It is well suited to smaller quilts - wall through lap sized.

It would be akward for larger quilts (heavy and SOOOO large) and there wouldn't be enough room to quilt between the frame pieces at the end of your quilt.

JOY

Comment

I have the Flynn frame but have not been able to get comfortable with it... perhaps b/c I tend to do twin & larger sized quilts, maybe I'll have to try it with the smaller poles. I also don't have a terribly large throat on my machine so like Joy said, there's not a lot of room. I think I found it limiting also b/c I have tended to go "all over" with my quilting designs, and don't want to just go side-to-side.
              On the plus side, it does stow away easily :lol:
              Florence

Comment

I started out with a Flynn frame. I saw it at Houston festival and it looked so easy. It was a total fight to keep the sides holding the PVC pipes tight. The weight of a queen sized quilt weighed everything down. Maybe the system has been improved but if I were you I would not expect it to be able to support a queen size quilt. I never did quilt a quilt on it.

Do more research. There are a lot of systems out there now that have more heft to them. Also, Brother and Juki make a straight stitch only quilting machine with a big throat space.

Barbara/NC

Comment

I'll give this a 'bump' and ask again if anyone out there has an Easy Quilter Frame II?

I am just starting to try mine, and since I also don't really know much about machine quilting at all, it's hard to tell if any problem is me or the frame? :lol: ops:

Comment

Lynn I like to know how you like it I have been looking at it let me know Happy

Comment

Hey Happy I don't know if mine is that model (?) I'll check when I'm home, but if it is I'll sell ya' mine! I couldn't offer that to many others b/c mailing those poles would be impossible!! I've gotten very comfortable w/ regular machine quilting so I don't think I'll really need to give that another try...
                      Florence

Comment

I'm just browsing on the web and found this and it looks so easy to use.............................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRggJoI0AxA

yeah, right!

I thought the Easy Quilter was easy to use at the booth at Festival. It's not easy to use at my house! I don't know if it's ME or my table top......or the equipment.

I have Easy Quilter II. I notice that Easy Quilter III has grooves for the machine to slide in, just like the English Quilter. One for forward/back and one for side to side.
                        Lynn

Comment

I'm sorry to say that I am very disappointed with my Flynn frame. I also found it unwildy, heavy and hard to manage on anything large. I can easily quilt a small quilt without it (especially since I discovered spray basting). I tried using it for a hand quilting project and never could get the height or angle adjusted to a comfortable position. It might be better with a different chair than what I tried.

I would suggest doing your stitch in the ditch first and then you'd be able to try some free motion in between the lines you made to stabilize everything.

Of course, you'll never get the back as nice as with the long-arm. I am SO fortunate to have a shop that rents time on theirs and I've been loving it.

Good luck! Nancy in Western NY where it seems we're not having a real summer this year!

Comment

I watched the video on the New English Quilter. I really wish I had waited to purchase a frame. That looked so much easier that the EasyQuilter. I'm wondering what the cost is on that system? Gloria

Comment

John Flynn makes it look so easy when I see him at quilt shows! :lol: I'm just getting into machine quilting, and I'm using Alex's book. I was watching a Fons & Porter video and John Flynn was the guest. He said to baste a quilt, he uses water soluble thread in his machine and stipple quilts (large) all over the quilt for practice, then he quilts his design with regular thread. After quilting, he washes the quilt and all the practice stippling is gone!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 34 users online. 0 members and 34 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X