[vb_main_1]

Hand quilting over seams...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand quilting over seams...

I'm new to hand quilting...I have hand quilted on a few practice projects to improve my stitches and test batting, thread, etc. I have also completed one 12 x 12 hand pieced block that I then hand quilted.

I am just starting into my first "real" hand quilting project....a wall hanging about 30x40. I hand pieced the top and now I've started my hand quilting :lol: I love the process! However I'm having a impossible time with the rocking stitch over the seams and have gone to needle down, pull through, needle up, pull through.

Should I be able to use the rocking stitch at all time, even over the seams? Or should I have prepared my top differently for hand quilting, like maybe pressing all seams open (to limit bulk)? Or maybe all is well and that is how it is done?

Any advice would be great.... :?

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Ditto.

Comment

My advice is don't even try to do the rocking stitch over the seams - just do the stab up and down through the seam, but try, try to make the stab stitches the same size and distance apart as your rocking stitches. They're going to look a little funny to you because they're going to "sit" on top of the fabric more, but after you've practiced a bit, they'll get better.

When I can, I plan my quilting to avoid corners where multiple seams come together - when I can't I just remember that people aren't going to examine the quilt with a magnifying glass and when I step back and look at the entire quilt I'm usually satisfied that I did my best.

Comment

Thank you so much for the advice.....I'm surely not trying for show quality at this time, but I would like the quilting to be the best it can be at my current level of experience. Plus I don't want to practice BAD HABITS, I'm always looking to see if there is a better or easier way.

I know that hand piecing and quilting is not dying out and maybe making a comeback, but not in my area.....I have contacted every store in a two hour radius and have only found one that offers classes and/or has anyone on staff with experience. I'm going to try to put a post in my next guild newletter...maybe someone local is experienced and would like to share her/his expertise.

At this point I'm just glad everyone is willing to help and I'm working through the seams in a common/acceptable way! :lol:

Comment

Sometimes, I find that a careful backstitch will help over those seams to fill in to get the even stitches. No one will ever know!

Comment

Haayyyy, that is a great idea also!

Comment

Whether you quilt in a hoop or on your lap will make a difference to the look and feel of a hand quilted peice - but the advice of of stab stitching through seams is the way to go which ever way you like to to quilt. Always protect the 'under finger' as it will become very sore and may bleed and spoil your work - don't ask how I know this.... :cry: .....you can use sticky plastic finger protectors or a thimble specially made for the job or just the one out of Grandma's sewing box - just use something! If you use a metal thimble your needle will need changing regulary as it will blunt quicker.

Comment

How true. I find I have developed very, very thick callous on both the end of my middle LEFT hand and on my thumb of RIGHT hand and both the index and middle of RIGHT hand. They periodically get 'peeled' and are tender for a few days, then back to normal use. I find I use my nail file to 'file' my fingertips as much as my nails. They just get so rough! Maybe that's another reason to swith to machine work!

Comment

My underside finger used to get so sore. Now I use a product called Skin Shield. It's like a liquid bandage you brush on. I but two or three coats on, allowing for drying in between. I can still feel if the needle has come through to the underside and the little pricks catch in the layers of Skin Shield not in my delicate finger tip. As the area gets roughed up, I just add another layer and let it dry. This does not withstand major pokes so be careful. The layers of Skin Shield will peel off at the end of a quilting session. Betty Ann

Comment

Iv'e not come across this product - I wonder if it's available in the UK yet?
                    does anyone know?

Comment

Well, being a nurse, I thought this sounded like a 'new fangled bandaid' so looked it up and it is! Here is a link to a picture of it since I can't post a picture here within the post.

http://store.darisimall.com/351635.html

It comes in a bottle and is about $3.50-5.00 per bottle. It brushes on like nail polish. Made by Del Pharmaceuticals.

I'm going to see if I can find it at Walgreens or CVS. It sounds like a great solution. I never dreamed it could be used for this!

Thanks bettyannseeman!!!

Comment

Thanks for the link to skin shield - I will have a look in my local pharmacy and see if they sell it here in the UK .

Comment

I've gotta try that skin sheild stuff. Thanks for the tip!!!!

Comment

I am self taught and when it came time to quilt by hand I tried everything to get the stitches the way I wanted them. I finally found out if I stab stitch I get the work done. I don't have to worry about carpal tunnel and I have a good time. I do sometimes where those rubber finger tips on my thumb and forefinger for those really thick seams. Also, I have the callous thing that peels I just keep on working. I had to cover a blood spot one time that wouldn't come out--I added a hand-painted flower that matched the ones on the front--signed my name near it and it looks like I planned it and the judges didn't know and I got the blue ribbon.
                            ritzy

Comment

I heard last week that YOUR OWN SALIVA will break down the blood if you bleed on your quilt.

Anybody else know about this?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 34 users online. 0 members and 34 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X