Machined raw edge applique

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machined raw edge applique

Hello.

I wonder if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm attempting this applique technique for the first time using Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite. The method worked a treat until I started to sew the applique pieces down. My machine needle gunked up after just a few stitches to the extent that the thread kept breaking and I got nowhere fast. Even the bobbin case has became glued up!!!!!!!!!!!. The accompanying instructions said to reheat the item if it was sticky but this did not improve the situation. I have used almost 100 needles so far and the applique pieces appear to be fraying at the edges as I stitch. ( a little disheartening on what was to be a very special piece).

I would appreciate any advice as I have a large number of delicate pieces still to apply in my project. They are too tiny to change to needle turned edge applique.

Thank you in advance.

Sandra

Something is terribly wrong. I have used Steam a seam 2 lite and never had the experience you are describing. How long have you had it. They had problems with it for awhile after they could no longer get a certain kind of release paper. It was so bad they took it off the market for a while. Could you have some of the bad stuff. I would try to get a customer service number for Steam -A -Seam and talk to someone. Something is wrong.

Comment

Sounds like you have a duff batch, I'd abandon it now and use another fusible. It's lovely because you can position pieces temporarily but 100 needles is 95 too many!!
      I use bondaweb without problems though I know others don't like it.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I use a lot of Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite...old original..never a problem...current new product...very good !...The product
        in between was horrid !! and I suspect that is what you have !! Like Wendy said..scrap it and start again with new
        and improved product. Test first before fusing a bunch of stuff !! Sad...but most of us have been there ! :whistle:

Comment

Thank you for your reply.Idaho

I live in the UK with no local quilt shop so I buy from companies that offer on-line services. I only bought 2 metres of the stuff from a roll, last month. I contacted the 'store owner' this morning and was advised that although they would refund if I returned the product - they had sold rolls and rolls of the stuff with no adverse comments at all. They did acknowledge that it had been unobtainable for a while but returning it doesn't solve my immediate problem however. At least I know It wasn't me so to speak. I appreciate your help

Sandra

Comment

Thank You Lois and Wendy,

I appreciate you help very much.

Sandra

Comment

You sound as though you've now got the fusing in place and are sewing round it. I really don't know what you can do to correct the gungey needles problem. perhaps put another fabric underneath the piece you're stitching to try and catch some glue. Ironing with a hot iron may make the fabric absorb the adhesive but I'm not sure. But definitely change to another fusible for those little pieces.

To control the fraying you could dab fraycheck around the pieces. Here's one supplier and there's some on ebay cheaper http://www.jaycotts.co.uk/products/fray-check#.VYxy9e_bLIU . If I get fraying on machine applique I either use that and trim any loose threads or change the stitch to edging stitch (can't remember name) and use invisible thread or a fine zig zag. Don't know it that helps.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

You're welcome, Sandra....one more thing....I never buy off a bulk roll as we, the consumer never know how long that roll has
                been open and in the shop. This fusible is affected by exposure to air and I only by sheets in 5/per pkg now
                and keep it tightly closed once opened. Can you order from Amazon? Try that exrtra ironing as Wendy suggested !

Comment

Sandra,
                  A few times my machine needle has gotten a sticky with fusible on it too. What I do is put put some rubbing alcohol on a piece of cotton batting and clean off the needle. It works pretty well. One thing I remember from my chemistry class - many years ago - is that alcohol is a universal solvent. It dissolves a lot of gooey, sticky stuff.

However, since this fusible has glued up your bobbin case, I personally would not try to finish machine appliqueing the pieces that you have already fused with the bad stuff. In my opinion, it is not worth the risk of damaging your sewing machine.

Let us know how it goes.
                  Judith

Comment

Hello Wendy,
                    I have tried a hot iron both dry and steam as suggested by the manufacturer. I also used the fine zigzag stitch with invisible thread. The pieces are too tiny to use Fraycheck - even applying it with a fine paintbrush. As you can see - I have tried all sorts of things to no avail. Hey - ho - that's life, Disappointing though!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Thank you.

Sandra

Comment

Hello Marilyn,

I didn't know about keeping it away from the air. Thank you for that. I haven't looked at Amazon - but I'll have a look at that.

Cheerio

Sandra

Comment

Thank you Judith.

My Bernina dealer suggested meths or 'the sticky stuff remover'.

Sandra

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 49 users online. 0 members and 49 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X