[vb_main_1]

Quilting applique

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting applique

I'm new to applique and I have just watched this weeks show. Would you apply your applique to each block and then quilt around it or, do you quilt the block and then apply your applique templates..?

Thank you
    Sandra

I look forward to seeing what others reply to this question. I have done both by machine but never hand appliqued to an already quilted background. Try both and see what works best for you. I like doing the machine applique after the quilting. Remember there are no rules that creativity cannot break.

Marianne

Comment

Hi Sandra -

As Marianne says, it depends on the look you want and the technique you are using. However, hand applique is generally done on a single layer of fabric. Depending on the quilt pattern, you may have several applique blocks which you then piece together into the quilt top. Then, layer, baste and quilt. That's the traditional and most common method, and probably what you would want to do as a start. It's a lot easier to hand applique through a single layer of fabric than through a quilt. This is also the method shown in the latest show. There will probably be an applique project added to the TQS projects for this show, so that might be a good thing to start with. I would guess it would be the little block that she worked on in the show. Have fun and be sure to show us what you do!! And let us know whenever you have questions.

Comment

Hello Nancy,

Thank you so much for your reply. I thought the single fabric was for demonstration purposes only. I hadn't processed the fact that this was the actual method. 'Light bulb' moment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind Regards

Sandra

Comment

Speaking of Applique, Mimi Deitrich has a new Craftsy class on Hand Applique. It is awesome, better than Karen Kay Buckley's DVD. If you visit her website, there's a link for 50% off. There is also a link to this:

http://www.stoopstorytelling.com/storytellers/772

Mimi telling a story...really funny.

Comment

Hi Sharon!
            Thank you for providing the link to Mimi's story. Her story telling style is very funny.

By the way, I took Mimi's Craftsy class last month, and I really did enjoy the various techniques she taught.

Take care,

Kathy in Central California

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 63 users online. 0 members and 63 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X