[vb_main_1]

Very Narrow Strips

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Narrow Strips

I've been working away very slowly at a "Ladies of the Sea" applique pattern. I'm not happy with the masts I've been making -- I just can't seem to get them narrow enough.

I like to prepare my applique pieces ahead of time, using a glue stick to turn the edges under. Then I can just place the pieces and stitch them down. This doesn't seem to work, though, on very narrow strips -- I'd like my masts to end up about 1/8" wide -- it seems impossible to turn under seam allowances on such narrow pieces ahead of time. I've tried with both bias and straight-grain strips.

None of the methods I've read (or used) for applique of narrow strips or stems prepares the strips before sewing them down -- all are versions of regular needle-turn, which I'd rather not use for the masts if there is an alternative.

Has anyone mastered a way to prepare narrow, straight strips with edges pre-turned and ready to applique? Or has someone else sewn this applique pattern and found a different solution to the masts? I've thought about maybe couching down cording, but haven't tried it yet.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Jan, try cutting your strips 1" wide to make it easier to hang on to. Fold the strip in half, lengthwise and press the fold. Use your sewing machine to stitch 1/8 inch from the fold, then trim the rest of the strip away, carefully cutting as close to the stitched line as you can get your scissors. Then just push the folded edge over the seam to cover it and sew down the other side of your strip by hand or with an invisible machine stitch with something like MonoPoly.

We would love to see some pictures of what you've gotten done so far. It's an amazing pattern.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I do it just the way Margo explained.

Comment

Thank you, Margo and Ritzy! That sounds like a *much* more manageable method. I will try it tomorrow!!

Here are the four blocks I've done so far. If you're familiar with the patterns, you will note that I've changed the wreaths somewhat (one of them completely!). Please disregard random threads and wrinkles; I just pulled these out of the drawer now to take pix.
        Oops, looks like I can only attach 3 photos. I'll put the 4th in a second post.

Comment

Perfect timing. Thank you for asking that question and thanks to Margo & ritzy for the answers...I think I will use Sew Fine or Masterpiece to sew the masts down...not so much bulk when turning the seam over. I will be starting Ladies of the Sea as soon as I get done with this year's BOM from Erin Russek(TQS name geoquilter). I have had the Ladies of the Sea kit for a year, I made myself not touch it before I finished the latest quilt...I'm easily distracted by pretty fabric! :wink: Wow, now I'm inspired love your blocks, thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Here's the fourth block:

Thanks for looking!

Comment

Debbie, I'd love to see your blocks as you make them -- hope you'll post them here!

Comment

One thing I would add. If you are going really narrow you may want to stagger the seam allowance when you trim it leaving the one on the background a little longer but not so long as to show when the fabric is folded over.

Comment

Jan, your blocks look WONDERFUL!! What an ambitious project you (and Debbie) are creating!

And Ritzy is right about "grading" the seam allowance to further reduce bulk for stems, but I think it might be hard to accomplish on these super narrow ones.

For more great applique tips you might want to check out Karen Kay Buckley's video: http://www.karenkaybuckley.com/store.php?cat=1

Comment

I promise to post photos once I get going. This will be an heirloom I want it to be perfect! Great ideas on grading the seam...oh my shades of Home Ec. Class...I remember well! You girls are so helpful. Thanks!

Comment

Jan, your blocks are fabulous. Does the pattern say what the symbolism is for the wreaths surrounding the blocks? I was wondering if that is a historical reference of some sort. I think your are doing a wonderful job and look forward to see more blocks as you go.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
                      <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

JoJo, you are very observant! Yes! Everything in this pattern is symbolic! Check out part of Sue's description of it here: http://www.quakertownquilts.com/ladi...te-set-po.html

Comment

Thank you for the link Margo. Sue's quilts are all amazing.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
                          <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Beautiful, Debbie!!!
                            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Lorchen, Jan(leafy) is the one that made those beautiful blocks...I'm just a "wanna be" at this point! But I will share my blocks when I finish them!
                              Many blessings!!
                              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X