No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Difference: David Taylor and Susan Carolson's Technique??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference: David Taylor and Susan Carolson's Technique??

If you've seen both work, what would be the major differences? It seems pretty similar. Is it just the difference in the artist's eye? Or is the methodology different?

One major difference is in technique. Every tiny piece of fabric in David's quilts have turned edges stitched together with hand appliqué.

Susan Carlson's collages are scraps of raw-edge fabric glued to a base and covered with tulle to hold them together.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Aha! Yes, I know David does turned edge, but didn't know Susan's was raw edged. Thanks.

Comment

I took part in class where David Taylor taught his method. He definitely hand appliques every piece, then uses quilting to add definition. He gets kind of "testy" when people assume his appliques are constructed using fused raw edge techniques. His class was good, by the way.

Comment

I have great closeups of several of David's quilts, which would show the difference, but can not post without permission. When you look at edges of his pieces they are turned under applique. He does not need to fuse, nor use blanket stitch or zigzag to tie pieces down. The turned under applique provides a more natural look to edges of his subjects, while his quilting is then used to "define" the flow of the body features of the subject (the curves of petals, hills and valleys of a body, fur, feathers,etc.) I hope this makes sense.

Comment

I went to a lecture David gave a couple of years ago at FIT in New York City. He had his helpers carry his quilts throughout the audience so I got to see them "up close and personal". I absolutely fell in love with his technique! I'd love to take a class with him sometime <sigh>

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
            Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 114 users online. 0 members and 114 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X