[vb_main_1]

What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to applique this very beautiful design (pretty but not difficult) and it keeps falling apart. Just bought the fusible stuff (tech term) Just Iron one side peel the paper place where you want iron again. NO STEAM! Okay No STICK! Further more my circles aren't very circular. Am I missing something or what because I would like to finish this quilt before the baby graduates from college.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

what is the design called so I can go take a look at it?

Teri
    Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Regarding your circles, if you're making small (around grape sized) circles, use one of those teflon circle guides. Out of your fabric, cut a circle 1/4 to 1/2-inch larger than the finished piece and use a running stitch around the edge to make a yo-yo. Place the appropriate teflon circle on top, and draw the thread, gathering the yo-yo around the teflon circle. Iron well, allow to cool, and remove the teflon circle. Iron again. That's how I finally got perfect grapes, cherries, etc.

Good luck!

Ruthann
      Teri

Comment

Which product are you using for your fusible applique? I had troubles with one brand and then switched. The 2nd was much better. From what I recall, it didn't stick very well and I also had trouble pulling the paper off after I ironed it onto the fabric.
        Teri

Comment

Another thought on the fusible. 1. Did you prewash? - sometimes finishes that come on the fabric will prevent the fusable from adhering properly. 2. Did you prewash and use a fabric softner or a detergent with fabric softner like Tide? - Again fabric softner will put a finish on the fabric and will prevent fusable from adhering properly, same goes for using a starch or sizing. You might try rewashing your fabrics using a plain detergent and see if that helps any.
          Teri

Comment

And one of the fusibles sticks to the paper when it is old.
            Teri

Comment

The quilt is called "Hugs and Kisses"by Mimi Dietrich. It is in the July/ August issue ofFons and Porter's Love of Quilting. It is absolutely beautiful and my neice wanted one for each of her daughters. My aunt feels that the fussible is old. I don't know last night I gave up and glued it. I figured that way it would wash out. This way I would at least be able to sew it down. HEY what can I say I need to get this done. (Go ahead and Laugh my family is especially my Aunt).
              Teri

Comment

Don't laugh at quilters who use glue!! Check our Sharon Schamber's web site, and you will see that you are in good company! Go to the "free area" and see the videos!
                I learned a LOT!

http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com/index.html

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

the method Alex just used for her Circles quilt (does it have another name?) uses glue sticks. No laughing here, just glad you were able to come up w/ a solution! Florence

Comment

I made a glue applicater like Sharon Schambers' and its my new favorite tool/notion. Saves me money and aggravation. I love it. Glue is my newest bestest sewing buddy!
                    Sherry

Comment

Thank Goodness someone else has used glue. You wouldn't believe the torture my family put me through mhen I told them. (BIG MISTAKE) I thought they were going to die laughing. You probably guessed I haven't been quilting long. Well I was Quilting for 2 years then had to take about 2 years off due to medical issues. Now I am relearning everything. My mother says baby steps, but that is just not my style. Besides if one more person tries to tell me to just accept my limitations I think I'll probably scream. Sorry little rant there just got off the phone with my mom. I swear all she can say to me is "take things slow" or "babysteps" UGH!!! Okay all better. Thank you for the advise and I will look for the episode about glue.

Comment

Rachel, More than likely if you post on here that you have tried something, there will be at least one other person that's tried it too....and if we have not, then we will appreciate that you have. It's great to always be learning something new. I'm glad the glue worked for you and hope you're having fun.

Dana in Olive Branch, MS

Comment

Thank you at least you all will see it as being creative problem solving. Again sorry about my rant earlier. Today my problem solving skills are being tested quite a bit. So I have taken the phone off the hook put the boys to bed and pulled out a quilt that I was working on when I had my accident. Now if I can remember how the pattern goes great if not I'll create a new one. Either way it is getting done.

Comment

That's the spirit. If it doesn't come together one way, try another and who knows maybe you will have the "next pattern" everyone is trying to buy. And you know, I've been quilting for some time now and never heard of using glue before. Mom never did it so I wasn't taught it, nor learned of it in a class. But I definitely see the merit in it's use after watching SG video. Learn something new everyday here in the Forum. Rena

Comment

Sherry,
                              What did you use to make the glue applicator? I have to do a binding on a DWR and I'd like to save some money for the seminar!!
                              eileenkny 8)

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 29 users online. 0 members and 29 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X