[vb_main_1]

painting on fabric with procion dyes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting on fabric with procion dyes

I am getting ready to try painting on fabric with my procion dyes and need some questions answered. I want to achieve a realistic painting with shading etc. Do you use print paste to thicken the dye, then paint on soda soaked fabric? Do you steam the painting to set it? How do you know when you have enough dye to preserve your painting depth? I know I saw a horse Clara Lawrence did so maybe one of you can help me.

Originally posted by QUILTINGANGIE
    I am getting ready to try painting on fabric with my procion dyes and need some questions answered. I want to achieve a realistic painting with shading etc. Do you use print paste to thicken the dye, then paint on soda soaked fabric? Do you steam the painting to set it? How do you know when you have enough dye to preserve your painting depth? I know I saw a horse Clara Lawrence did so maybe one of you can help me.
    Yes, you use print paste to thicken the dye. Not much is needed to prevent the dye from running. And you paint on soda soaked fabric that has dried. I don't steam the painting but leave it flat under plastic for some time as it cures with moist and temperature. Depends on your climate for how long you need to keep it moist. You'll have to experiment on the last question, but remember that the dye dries up one or two tones lighter.
    I hope this helps.

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Absolutely what Norma said. also, if you paint on wet fabric, the dye will spread out. If you wait until the soda ash-ed fabric dries, the dye will not spread out as much. Have fun!
      Kathy

Comment

Thanks! Hope to get started soon.

Comment

I took a class from Hollis Chatelain, see if you can find one locally.

Be sure to wash the finished piece, or the chemicals used to set the dye will degrade the fabric.

Comment

I was able to accomplish my project, also used thickened dye in a black to outline and accent with great success. I did wash my quilt top and then the quilt to block as usual. Thanks

Comment

Well, Angie, you going to give us a little picture?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 53 users online. 0 members and 53 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X