[vb_main_1]

Interested in making sky dyes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in making sky dyes

I'd like to do some landscapes and wonder about doing my own sky dyes. I know Mickey Lawler's technique requires paints. This seems easier and less cumbersome than dyeing fabric. I am going to google her and see if she has a book. I'd like to get some nice sky fabric and it seems hard to find out there. I took a class on painting on fabric and I didn't like the paints we used. I think it was setacolor. Mickey Lawler uses something different, I think it's versacolor and I suppose I could find both on dharma. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get some nice sky fabric made? Thanks, Jan

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

The Australian quilter Gloria Loughman uses some amazing skies inn her quilts, and I'm sure she dyes them herself. Maybe worth an internet search.

The only thing I remember from reading somewhere about dyeing skies is that it helps to dilute the paint (can't remember what paint it was / I'm not much help here ), and make sure that the fabric is flat because you don't want the paint to run in a vertical way.

Good luck, Jan!
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Can't help you on this one, Jan--I've never dyed anything except in tea... but, on an aside, since Lorchen mentioned Gloria Loughman's skies, BJ and I will be taking Gloria Loughman's class on Luminous Landscapes next week in Philadelphia. We are to bring our own fabrics for the project but she has said that she will have available a number of her dyed fabrics as well, especially for the sky portion of the landscape, for those who wish to purchase. Has anyone taken a class with Gloria Loughman?

Comment

And Mickey Lawler will have a show in the series that starts in January. I was able to sit in on the taping. She sells her painted fabric online if you want a piece of hers.

Nancy

Comment

Hi, guys, I am going to buy Mickey Lawler's book. Lorchen I love Gloria Loughman's work. And Renata you are so lucky to be going to her class. I would love to go to that quilt show. It's near relatives. But I think I'm staying home and have a 5K walk (run??) to benefit someone with stage IV melanoma. The poor guy has no health insurance and is very young.
          Nancy that's exciting. Something to look forward to. By then I hope to have made some sky dyes.
          I'm taking a class at a quilt show on applique in November. I was hoping to make some nice background fabric by then.

Comment

I took a workshop with Gloria here in the UK a few years ago. She is a very good teacher with a lovely personality. I had a great time. I took pictures of some of her small landscapes with her permission at the time. Some of them were unfinished at the time, but they give you an idea what her hand-dyed skies are like.

Comment

Sorry, Jan, you won't make it to Philly next week, but I certainly appreciate the contribution you are making toward a young man and his family in need--I wish him a strong recovery.

Lorchen, when you took the class, did she teach the diamond-cut fabric sky set on point that she is known for? The pictures in the advertisement show those skies, and it is what I hope to do, but she is equally well-known for her dyed skies...

Comment

I'll have to look at her book (Gloria L) which I saw in Joann's. I didnt' want to get into using dyes. I thought paints would be easier. Lorchen I love your landscape. Did you buy the cloth or make it?

Comment

Renata, Gloria did both. We had a choice on the day to use the diamonds or to try our hand on painting a sky. I opted for the latter. At the time my rotary cutting wasn't very fast and accurate. Today I would give those diamonds a go. I have to admit that my piece from that great workshop still needs quilting. I have learned a lot since then and, for example, would not use such a strong commercial fabric for the water these days. But here it is:

Comment

wow, Lorchen, I love it. the whole thing is great. Did you paint it all? So she teaches painting, too.

Comment

Thank you, so much, Lorchen. I love your landscape, I hope you get around to finishing it because it is really an eye-catcher! If you have any pearls of wisdom for me before I go, I would love to hear anything you have to say. I've bought the book, skimmed through it and focused on a couple of specific chapters, I have my picture, I have some fabric with whatever was on her list and plan to bring a few extras for back-up in case I end up in a different direction than anticipated. I am really looking forward to this session! Should I be practicing any stitches with my machine before I got (invisible applique or satin stitch so I don't have to fiddle with it when I get there?).

Comment

Renata, don't 'over-think' this. Sounds like you have everything you need. I wouldn't practice anything. You'll be surprised how everything comes together when you follow Gloria's instructions. For me personally comfortable clothes and shoes, and a bottle of water are essential. The rest will work out on the day.

Oh no, Jan, I didn't paint everything. That would be beyong my capabilities. The sky is painting. The rest are commercial fabrics, but there is quite a bit of thread-painting, and it'll need more.

Comment

I have lots of questions too. Do you have Gloria's book or books? Does she have a book that tells how to do the skies? What kind of paints does she use? Sorry for the barrage. Anyway the fabrics you used are great. I love landscapes. Always have. Nice job, Lorchen. And good luck, Renata. Show us some pictures if you can later.

Comment

Jan, I have two Gloria Loughman books. Quilted Symphony has five pages dedicated to fabric painting, not specifically skies, but I can see how her painting applies to skies. In particular, she discusses fabric paint, brushes, fabric, painting boards. She also goes into one page of steps on how to apply the paint; she also discusses color gradations and creating textured fabrics (these last two sections are very sketchy).

I also have Luminous Landscapes. In this book, she dedicates seven pages to fabric painting and MOST of it is dedicated to skies. If I were to buy one book with skies in mind, it would be this book. The book goes into many more aspects of landscape design, including skies than just the painting aspect. You might be able to go online to Amazon and look at a sample of the book.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hi, Renata, that's good to know. I think I can read the Luminous Landscapes book at Joann's and decide whether to buy it. I work very near Joann's so a weekly visit often happens. I always have coupons but have restrained myself. I don't always like their cloth. I have found some very nice cloth there sometimes, however. Hope you have a lot of fun next weekend. Jan

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20 users online. 0 members and 20 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X