[vb_main_1]

French Dying with the plant called "Woad"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Dying with the plant called "Woad"

I found this write-up of dying with woad quite interesting. The process, the history of the plant and the industry. There is just so doggone so much to learn out there I'll never get to my sewing!

Also a great website if you like other kinds of needlework!

http://www.needlenthread.com/2011/09...of-france.html

Lynn in NC but from Houston

Fascinating, Lynn! Thanks for the link!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks, for sharing.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

great information - thanks for sharing

Comment

The French are Johnny-come-latelys to woad dying, we have been doing it for much longer here in Britain, although it has rather gone out of fashion these days :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woad_Ode
          "The Woad Ode"

Written by William Hope-Jones
          Music by Men of Harlech
          Lyrics by William Hope-Jones
          Published 1921, The Hackney Scout Songbook
          Language English
          Recorded by Joe Hickerson

The Woad Ode is a humorous song, set to the tune of Men of Harlech. It recounts the ancient British tradition of fighting naked in woad dye, but is not intended as a history lesson. It first became popular in 1920s as a song in the British Boy Scouts[1] and first appeared in The Hackney Scout Song Book (Stacy & Son Ltd, 1921). The author was William Hope-Jones, a housemaster at Eton,[2] who wrote it some time before 1914, as he sang it at a College dinner at that time. "Ho Jo" appears in the M.R. James' ghost story Wailing Well (1928), in which a group of masters take the Eton Scout Troop on an ill-fated camping expedition.

What's the use of wearing braces?
          Spats and hats and boots with laces?
          Vests and pants you buy in places
          Down on Brompton Road?
          What's the use of shirts of cotton?
          Studs that always get forgotten?
          These affairs are simply rotten,
          Better far is woad.
          Woad's the stuff to show men.
          Woad to scare your foemen.
          Boil it to a brilliant hue
          And rub it on your back and your abdomen.
          Ancient Briton ne'er did hit on
          Anything as good as woad to fit on
          Neck or knees or where you sit on.
          Tailors you be blowed!!
          Romans came across the channel
          All dressed up in tin and flannel
          Half a pint of woad per man'll
          Clothe us more than these.
          Saxons you can waste your stitches
          Building beds for bugs in britches
          We have woad to clothe us which is
          Not a nest for fleas
          Romans keep your armours.
          Saxons your pyjamas.
          Hairy coats were made for goats,
          Gorillas, yaks, retriever dogs and llamas.
          March on Snowdon with your woad on,
          Never mind if you get rained or snowed on
          Never want a button sewed on.
          Go it Ancient Bs!!

Comment

Originally posted by QuilterLynn
            I found this write-up of dying with woad quite interesting. The process, the history of the plant and the industry. There is just so doggone so much to learn out there I'll never get to my sewing!

Also a great website if you like other kinds of needlework!

http://www.needlenthread.com/2011/09...of-france.html

Lynn in NC but from Houston
            Agreed!

Comment

love the woad ode

Comment

Lynn, thanks for the great info on woad dying. My son is taking his project on dying with natural versus commercial dyes to the Young Scientists Exhibition in Dublin in January and he has to try lots of different plants and methods for this. I will search around the fields for some woad.

Rosemary, thanks for the Wode Ode - I thought it was only the Celts who went into battle naked to scare their opponents but it looks like the English had the same idea! I like some of the alternative last lines too :lol:

Comment

Rosemary, loved the Woad Ode.......and certainly makes me remember the movie Braveheart and the blue men of war!

Comment

Rita, the Scottish & Welsh are both part of the Celtic races, we sometimes say (tongue in cheek) that the Scots celts were Irish celts who had learn't how to swim :wink:

Lyn, being married to a Scot, the film Braveheart is dangerous ground for discussion in this household,
                    for starters Mel Gibson is a FOOT too Short :? my DH who is the same height as MG, has seen Wallace's sword, and even though it has been shortened, is too long for him to wield.
                    Making out that Robert Bruce's father was a leper is hogwash,
                    and the French princess was about 8 years old when William Wallace was executed :roll: ,
                    they didn't even film it in Scotland, because it didn't look Scottish enough! :shock:

However the battle scenes were excellent

Comment

Ah but that's not all - there was also Brittany, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Galicia! Seven celtic countries in all.

Comment

Wow, the things you learn on this site!

Comment

All you have to do is click on "The Forum" and the educational process begins anew every day! Loved the "Woad Ode" which sparked the need to click on Wikipedia for a definition of "woad", which led to a Google search for the song, which lead to a U-Tube version sung by someone in Buffalo, NY... and then I did a lateral move to "indigo"... next thing I knew the day was almost over!!!

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                            Ah but that's not all - there was also Brittany, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Galicia! Seven celtic countries in all.
                            Galicia - I've been there a couple of times and nearly all the flat land there is vertical, so they have been terracing it since before the Romans invaded. Some of these terraces are now in need or repairs - well you would if you were 2000 years old, anyway one of the groups who were doing the repairs came across some graffiti, I don't know which language it was it but it roughly translates as
                            ROMAN'S GO HOME :lol: - Shades of Monty Python's 'The Life of Brian' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

(that could probably lose you another afternoon at least Charae :wink: )

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26 users online. 0 members and 26 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X