[vb_main_1]

Post dying rinsing of the fabric

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post dying rinsing of the fabric

I am getting ready to try dying for the first time. I have a High Efficiency front load washer, so I am thinking that is probably not the right washer to use to perform the post dying rinse step of the process. Any advice on using (or not using) a HE front load washer???? If I don't use my washer, what is the right way to use hand washing for the post dying rinse step???

Thank for your help!

Mary Kay

Hi Mary Kay, when I dye at home I rinse a lot with plain water first to get most of the dye out, then wash in HOT water with synthrapol by hand. Double rinse afterward. When I was at Ricky and Justin's dyeing workshop in LaVeta (lucky me!) we poured the dye solution down the drain in the sink, rough rinsed in the sink in the dyeing room and dumped everything into the washer that was full of hot water and synthrapol. It was set on high water level and long cycle, and double rinse cycle. If the high efficiency washer doesn't use a lot of water, you might not get all the excess dye out. Hopefully someone else will have experience with this type of washer. Lots of hot water, plenty of synthrapol and lots of agitation over time are the keys.

Kathy

Comment

I have a frontloader with low water level. I rinse in lukewarm water by hand with Synthrapol several times until most of the excess color is out. If I feel afraid that it's not enough, I wash it in the machine in cold water with Synthrapol once. The dye react in warm and humid conditions, so if you keep the temperature low, it will not settle in a wrong place. After that I wash it in the machine in hot water and still Synthrapol. I make "the iron test", which is to iron the damp fabric on some white, I use coffee filters to see if there is any color left in the fabric. If there is just a little left I wash once more in hot water with Synthrapol. I don't use very much Synthrapol, just a teaspoon or so. I have never had to do more than this.
      Besides I keep pale colors and very strong colors separate until the most color is washed out. I hope this will help you to get stunning results.

living in Central Denmark
      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thanks, Ladies!!!! I will try hand washing (multiple times) followed by a trip through my wash machine. Thanks for your advice!!!

Comment

Mary Kay, Please show us your resulting fabrics.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I have a top-loading HE washer. I rinse in warm in the sink. Then I wash in hot-ish w/ Synthrapol in the sink. Then I run it all through the washer with hot water & synthrapol. I have the new low-foaming version.

I've never had any problems. Last summer I dyed tshirts ($2 at CVS! ) and wore them a lot! After the dyeing and the above washing, I now wash them with the other clothes. They've probably been washed every other week since Sept. All are still bright and I've not had any running.

(I dye using Ann Johnston's Low-Water Immersion methods most of the time. Course, then there is snow dyeing and tie-dyeing.... )
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
            Tired. 
            Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
            Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Hi, everyone I have a couple of questions. I need to know if Joanne's white Kona cotton needs to be further prepared for painting by prewashing or not. Also for an "art quilt" to get nice colors is it better to not wash after painting so the colors don't fade? If you don't plan on washing the piece later. I am trying to make a background for a class later today. I am going to experiment with Jacquard dynaflow paint on this white fabric and will try to dry it using a hair dryer. I'm guessing I might be better off buying a piece of hand dyed fabric at the quilt show I'm going to.
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              Tired. 
              Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
              Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Originally posted by drj2athome
                Hi, everyone I have a couple of questions. I need to know if Joanne's white Kona cotton needs to be further prepared for painting by prewashing or not. Also for an "art quilt" to get nice colors is it better to not wash after painting so the colors don't fade? If you don't plan on washing the piece later. I am trying to make a background for a class later today. I am going to experiment with Jacquard dynaflow paint on this white fabric and will try to dry it using a hair dryer. I'm guessing I might be better off buying a piece of hand dyed fabric at the quilt show I'm going to.
                I have not used dynaflow or done painting on fabric but for dyeing, yes the Kona cotton still needs prepared. I run it thru a wash cycle with Synthrapol. Have fun!
                Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                Tired. 

Comment

thanks, Joyce.
                  Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                  Tired. 

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 28 users online. 0 members and 28 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X