[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Textile Medium

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valerie...If you are going to exhibit your quilts in shows they need to be tough, and yes, sometimes they do stack them. :blink: I think, given that show quilts have to be shipped through all kinds of weather, and even though the shows usually try to take really good care of them, it is really important to make sure they aren't going to run or rub off if the weather gets damp and hot. :side: The show gurus can't control the weather, though some of them are pretty resourceful.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Thank you Betty Jo!

Comment

For fabric painting I use Golden textile medium with acrylics then heat set with the iron when it dries and it works really well, allowing me to get small details for faces etc. I paint directly onto pre washed cotton fabric then layer and quilt, there is usually a slight degree of stiffness to the fabric but I have to say the medium really softens painted fabric compared to painting on fabrics with the acrylic diluted with only water.
        Best Wishes Pam

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. Good information. Sometimes the fabric gets a bit too stiff when we paint on it

living in Central Denmark
          Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

I'm extremely disappointed with my efforts , as i designed and quilted a wall quilt. Upon completion, I proceeded to paint this quilt with the Derwent inktence pencils: it was beautiful to say the least , I used also aloe Vera gel as the medium then I (heat set it ) by ironing it. I was happy with the results it was trying at times the ink ran some places but I fixed it. HOWEVER the disappointment really came when I washed the quilt and dryed it . The color ran through the whole quilt, totally distorting my efforts. I bought golden 900 to try with the derwent pencils. But now I'm totally hesitating. I would greatly appreciate any advise on where I went wrong. Thank you for your time.

living in Central Denmark
            Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by "Windytips" post=134124
              I'm extremely disappointed with my efforts , as i designed and quilted a wall quilt. Upon completion, I proceeded to paint this quilt with the Derwent inktence pencils: it was beautiful to say the least , I used also aloe Vera gel as the medium then I (heat set it ) by ironing it. I was happy with the results it was trying at times the ink ran some places but I fixed it. HOWEVER the disappointment really came when I washed the quilt and dryed it . The color ran through the whole quilt, totally distorting my efforts. I bought golden 900 to try with the derwent pencils. But now I'm totally hesitating. I would greatly appreciate any advise on where I went wrong. Thank you for your time.
              Oh I know that must have been disappointing! You didn't say if you prewashed your fabric, or how hot you washed it. I always prewash, to get any chemicals out that may interfere with the painting, and wash my quilts in cold water and dry them flat. Not sure if any of that helps or not. I also don't wash the wall quilts unless I need to, but I usually do wet them in cold water for blocking, except for the silk quilts.

Comment

I've used Prisma color pencils and Inktense with success. I seal them with Jaquard's colorless extender #100. It's the consistency of face cream and a very little goes a long way and disappears into the fabric. Basically, it's the base for their acrylic fabric paints without pigment. I found this hint on Sandra Leichner's website several years ago and have used this exclusively since then. It does not make the fabric stiff.

Comment

I have used the clear, pure aloe too Betty Jo with some of my painting and it works very well. Less color bleeding and kept fabric supple.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 36 users online. 0 members and 36 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X