[vb_main_1]

Mounting art quilt/tapestry on a panel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting art quilt/tapestry on a panel

Does anyone here do this as an alternative to hanging the quilts? I know I saw directions for this somewhere, but cannot find it. It's sort of like stretching canvas on a frame, I think.

thanks! Cleta

I mounted a small art quilt on canvas and it was a fun treatment. I stretched and attached canvas to stretcher bars that were bigger than my little quilt by several inches. I wanted to attach the quilt by running stitches so the mounting canvas had to be big enough for the quilt to lay inside the wood stretcher bars that extend inwards on the back side. I painted the canvas a similar color to the background of the art quilt. You can do anything creative here to make the canvas an extension of the design in the quilt. Once it was dry I centered the quilt and tacked it on by taking a tiny stitch next to the edge of the quilt and then a long running stitch on the back of the canvas, etc.

I'm not sure this is the treatment you were refering to, but it may be a fun alternative.
    Cindy

Comment

Thanks, Cindy - it's not exactly what I had in mind, but I never would've thought of this process either. I like the idea of painting the background to match...so you're basically making the canvas part of your quilt (and vice versa)...that could be a very cool look. I want to wrap the piece around a frame. It has gold leaf on all sides, so I would have to pad the frame (mdf or whatever), I think. I might just have to play and see what happens.

Comment

Cleta, Sounds really interesting. I would love it if you post photos of your process and results. Cheers, BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 31 users online. 0 members and 31 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X