[vb_main_1]

machine sewn binding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

machine sewn binding

I am making some quilts for the Downey project. Since everything should be machine sewn, I have a question about doing the binding. I usually machine sew it to the front of the quilt and hand sew it to the back. This won't do for the donated quilts.
    I remember reading somewhere that many people attach the entire binding by machine, front and back. Does anyone have advice on doing this? I'd appreciate learning how others do it.

I've only done it the way Harriet Hargrave describes in her machine quilting books.

You stitch it to the top by machine like one ordinarily would, but when you turn it to the back, instead of hand stitching it down, you pin it just over the bobbin thread from where you stitched it to the top.

It helps if you pin from the top because you're going to stitch from the top right in the binding 'ditch' where you first attached it to the top - and then you can pull the pins out as you're stitching. If you plan right, you can pin in the direction that makes them easy to pull out as you're sewing.

As you stitch again from the top in that ditch, it will catch the binding on the back side (because you pulled it around over the bobbin thread and pinned it).

I know this is clear as mud - the pics in the books make this pretty clear. Maybe someone knows of an online video?

The size matters. I generally cut my binding 2.5 inches and fold it in half. I cut my batting and lining 1/2 inch from the stitch line that attaches my binding to the top. 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/4 makes the 2.5 inch strip and the half inch binding that fits perfectly when you pull it around to the back past the bobbin line to pin it...

Oh dear - I have no clue if I'm explaining this at all well... :shock:

Comment

If I am doing a binding on a quilt that will be used a lot and washed a lot that I do not plan to submit to anyone else for inspection. I usually machine sew my binding on the back and then bring it around and use a decorative stitch to machine stitch the front of the quilt. It is not always that neat on the back but if it is a quilt that is for utility first and perfect beauty second, I live with it. Ann

Comment

I do the same thing Ann does - some of those decorative stitches really make for a nice detail and hold the binding really well.

Comment

Ditto, Ann and Mandy, I have always done it that way for my donated quilts - more secure and much faster to do. if you pick a wide enough decorative stitch it looks real nice on both sides, I also will use a multi color thread to make it stand out. Nina

Comment

I like using one that looks like a checkerboard - line up the center of the stitch right on the edge of the binding and go - if I pin it well it covers the edge on the back too, so you have a really nice finished look.

Comment

Yes, sewing the binding on the back and then sewing it on the front with a decorative stitch works great! It is fast and easy.

Comment

For what it is worth, Sharon Schamber has a video ( I think on utube) where she sews the binding to the right side, then uses school glue and an iron to adhere the back side. She then says you can machine stitch from the front side or hand stitch from the back. It looks like it would be a bit of work, but does come out very nice. She puts a lot of effort into make perfectly square corners.

Comment

Oh gawd yes, Google Sharon Schambers "Binding the Angel", there is absolutely no comparison doing it any other way (by machine, I mean).

After following her steps, I then proceed to stitch the backside down by machine as well (but working from the front), using the #10 foot. It turns out wonderful!

Created by CJ

Comment

I am overwhelmed by the great responses. I was away for the day and decided to check in. What a surprise to see the ideas. Thanks everyone. :lol:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16 users online. 0 members and 16 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X