[vb_main_1]

thread painting trees

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

thread painting trees

I am just starting to dabble in art quilting and am trying to teach myself. I have my landscape done and now I need to start thread painting. I am doing a mountain scene and I want to do the trees which I thought was done with a zigzag free motion technique but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it. The area I am trying to do is on the mountain tops in the distance. When I try doing a freemotion zigzag, I am finding that the thread is pulling the fabric into ridges, I have loosened my upper tension to a very low number, but I just can't seem to get it. Any tips? or what am I doing wrong??
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

YOu need a stabilizer. Are you thread painting as part of the quilting, or before layering the quilt? I'm not an expert at thread painting, but have done a little. I like to use Ricky's Stable Stuff as a stabilizer because it softens with washing and just adds a little more "batting" to that area. If you're doing it as part of the quilting, the batt and back should act as stabilizer.
    I prefer to thread paint before quilting, because quilting mashes the fabric down where it is quilted, and I want my thread painting to pop out, not be mashed down.
    Hope this helps.
    From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Laura, You might need a hoop as well as a stabilizer. For some hints you might want look at Libby Lehman's Threadplay and Nancy Prince's website (which has some free videos and hints) http://www.nancyprince.com/

I'm not an expert either but I have dabbled in this and found I had to have both stabilizers and a hoop. It's loads of fun.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

As I am not at home but holidaying in California, I will definitely try some of these tips once I get back this coming week. It's one of those projects I really want to do but am a little scared of 'going for it'. I guess there are those projects that you just practise on and then finally you get it.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Thanks bunches for the link. I've got it bookmarked and plan to check it out when I have more time. Been wanting to learn this technique.

Shreveport, Louisiana
          Bernina 440QE

Comment

Definitely hoop Laura and if you're free zigzagging, don't forget to try going side to side instead of up and down for a different effect.

Shreveport, Louisiana
            Bernina 440QE

Comment

Nancy Zieman has a book and video out on landscape quilting which you may want to check out. (http://www.NancysNotion.com)

BethMI

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X