[vb_main_1]

Stablizers and other techniques

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stablizers and other techniques

I need to make some simple leaf blocks for a quilt. I want to use the window style of fusibles to keep the blocks soft. I will probably do some thread painting on patches before I put them into the block.

I have never done anything like this before... Can anyone give tips on the more artistic / embellishing type of quilting? What kind of stabilizer for the thread painting should I used before I put my patches together.

I want to use some contemporary technique but I look through my books and magazines and I have very little on that kind of quilting techniques. I have some on order from Amazon but I want to get started this weekend.

thanks for any help / instruction / directions...

If you know some good web sites please post them in this thread.

Anna

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I am going to review my QUILT SHOW DVDs.... and I am sure that will help but I want more before I start trying to do this project since it will be a gift.

Anna

Comment

I personally like Ricky's Stable Stuff. It's a stiff paperlike stabilizer that gets really soft when washed. You only need to trim it away from the outer portion of the design. I think he uses it in some of his videos.

Comment

I'll echo that about Ricky's Totally Stable! It comes in printer ready sheets, which makes it great if you want to print on it! I've used it for applique and have been very happy with it!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

I have order Ricky's Stable stuff but I do not think it will arrive till next week... I kinda need to do the blocks this weekend..

Do you think Solvy washable stabilizer would work. I have heard you can use it for embroidery projects. I was thinking I would just lay it in water after I finished the block and before I squared the blocks up.

IF the quilt was just for me... I would just wait until I washed the quilt but since it is going into a project quilt I figure I should remove the stabilizer before setting them into the blocks.

This project came up in the last minute. ... put the project in the ..... HOW DID I GET MYSELF INTO THIS ??? category.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 75 users online. 0 members and 75 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X