[vb_main_1]

Washing/Not Washing Fabric for Art Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing/Not Washing Fabric for Art Quilt

okay..you can tell by the question that I am really new to this. I saw a similar thread over in the traditional area...but I think art quilts are different in that they usually aren't intended to be used, but rather displayed as art. SO - if I want to create an art quilt that combines a painted canvas (oils, acrylics or watercolor) with fabric, ribbon, etc...do I wash anything before beginning?? Why would I want to if it's never going to be washed afterwards and therefore, no worries about anything shrinking, bleeding, etc.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? How do you all proceed?

Do you wash the backing material only? Does it even matter?

in Vancouver, Canada

I doubt that any art quilter washes the fabric. I would assume that the crisper fabric would be easier to work with in this medium. Washing the fabric is usually done to remove excess dye so that when the quilt is washed the colors won't run onto the lighter fabrics. Judy in Torrance

Comment

On the other hand if you are painting with water colors on a fabric that does happen to run wouldn't the water needed for the paint cause the dyes to run? I would think it would be best to test the fabric regardless of what method you do so you wouldn't get any surprises.

Comment

Sandy, I was thinking the same things, also with any glue that you might use.

Maggie in E Central Illinois

Comment

Plus I seem to remember from years ago that the paint will stick better without the sizing in the fabric.

Comment

I do not normally wash my fabric (because I hate ironing it afterwards) but if I am using hand dyes or hand done batiks, I do wash my fabric. Sometimes more than once depending on the intensity of the color. I use color grabbers and wash until the one I put in comes out white or an extrememly pale shade of the color of the cloth. This summer I did some discharge bleaching on some fabric and for those fabrics even if they were commercial, I washed them first. Sometimes sizing in the fabric can affect the flow of the bleach. And the other exception to my no wash rule is deep red/burgandy or black fabrics. They cause the most problems. Ann

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I think my question was a bit confusing because I am not going to paint on the fabric - I will be using a canvas mural (all paint layers dry and cured), and the fabric will be stitched into the mural as more/different color. this is just in the super-preliminary stages so I actually don't have a fully-formed idea at this point...just randomly thinking out loud about what challenges I might encounter.

Ann, I think that is what I am looking for - what fabrics would bleed easily if I needed to dampen any part of the project? And I don't anticipate using glue...but who knows where this will take me? It does make sense to wash the darker fabrics or any hand-dyed.

I appreciate all the thoughtful advice.

Comment

I've always been more concerned with reds bleeding--Ann had some good advice. I hope you'll show us your work when it's completed.

Comment

Cleta I would love to see some of your work :lol: :lol: I too am an artist painter, previously doing landscapes, portraits and decorative painting. I am fairly new to quilting, starting as an art quilter but now do some traditional quiltling. I am in the process of rinsing and drying all of my stash fabric. I did not know which fabric had been washed and what hadn't. When I want to start a new project I don't want to stop and wash and dry. I want to jump right in and get started. This way it doesn't matter what I use the fabric for, painting, art quilt, applique or traditional quilts. Yes, fabric needs the sizing washed out of to be painted on. Try Jacquard fabric paints. They are fabulous.
                  Carolyn

Comment

As Ann said, red and black bleeds easily!...but do not forget green too :wink: Red and green are the colors which needs more pigments to get the colors. Black will bleed because it has red/green in it :shock:

If you prewash your fabric or your finished quilttop...use vinegar (for hand-and machine washing), the vinegar will fixate the colors!

I have to admit, I do not prewash my fabric, but after its done.With some vinegar (white) added I have never ruined any quilt :!:

Comment

How much vinegar do you add? I've been prewashing mine since I started. My Mom really stressed that. She had a friend who had a major disaster from not prewashing. Is it cold in Norway? Sandi in FL

Comment

Originally posted by sanann
                        How much vinegar do you add? I've been prewashing mine since I started. My Mom really stressed that. She had a friend who had a major disaster from not prewashing. Is it cold in Norway? Sandi in FL
                        White vinegar comes in different strenghts, If using 7% vinegar I add 1/4 of a cup. If it is stonger I use the excact meassurement of a "splash" :lol:
                        Cold..no its just 19,4 F today (-7 Celsius) so its not bad at all . Bodoe has all kinds of weather in the same day so I really miss Narvik!! :cry:

Comment

Great idea, speaking of temperatures it is -32 in Kenosha, Wi
                          with wind chill -10 air temp. burrrrr...Jean

Comment

Brink thanks for the 'recipe'. Will try it. Its 36 degree's here in N FL, which is 16 degrees higher than they originally forecast for this morning. Sandi in FL

Comment

I was all my fabrics including my own hand dyes. I do art quilts that will not be washed but sometimes other projects that will be washed. I have never had any problems making art quilts with washed fabrics. Maggi

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 35 users online. 0 members and 35 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X