[vb_main_1]

Selecting printable fabric brand

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selecting printable fabric brand

I have played with Bubblejet method, EQ Printables, Printed Treasures, and June Taylor fabrics for printing. I felt the Bubblejet was too labor intensive for the few I use. The June Taylor was a poor quality fabric. I have leaned toward EQ because I could get the volume discount. Does any one have a preference and why?

Originally posted by dianaupp
    I have played with Bubblejet method, EQ Printables, Printed Treasures, and June Taylor fabrics for printing. I felt the Bubblejet was too labor intensive for the few I use. The June Taylor was a poor quality fabric. I have leaned toward EQ because I could get the volume discount. Does any one have a preference and why?
    I've just been getting ready to try this technique for the first time in the next week or two. I have some Bubblejet, as well as the printable fabric. I'll let you know what my preference is when I get them done.
    Marlene

Comment

The only kind I've tried is the Printed Treasures.
      Eileen Keane, NY

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I'm fine with June Tailor. I use the colorfast washable ones. I have printed fabric and used it for piecing or applique (with June Tailor) -- no problem getting the needle through for quilting. I'm not sure what kind of "quality" problems people might be talking about.

I tried the Jenkins Miracle Sheets (from the makers of BJS) but had terrible luck with them. Tried to complain and was told they never get any complaints about them. Well the color on mine faded really bad. So they've had at least one complaint. Don't know if it was a bad batch or what. I'm not going to try again to see. It also makes me question BJS. But the major reason I don't treat my own is the mess factor. I live in a tiny space -- no room.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

My negative about the June Tailor was the fabric quality itself. I really like the high thread count on the EQ Satin fabric. The printing comes out very clear but not sure about how it will hold up.

I agree with the BJS mess. I thought I would save some $$ and had the whole kitchen strewn with wet dipped fabric. My husband came in and said "how much do you think you are saving doing this?". I went back to buying packets.

What I was looking for was some sort of test data that anyone might have comparing the brands/methods. There has to be some science project out there.

Comment

What I was looking for was some sort of test data that anyone might have comparing the brands/methods. There has to be some science project out there.[/quote]

I think that Quilter's Newletter did an article comparing the different printable fabrics. If that is not right let me know--I only get three quilting mags. so it has to be one of them.

Comment

Yes, they did do it and I know it has been within the last year or so because thats all the longer I have had my subscription. I'll look through and see if I can find it when I get a chance.

Comment

I have used Printed Treasures. I bought something at the Madison Expo from the HP guy but can't remember the brand. ops:

Joyce
                Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                Tired. 
                Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Traveling for business for the next week or so. But thanks for the direction. I will go through my archives of QNL when I get back. I should have remembered that myself.

Comment

Quilters Home magazine just did an article on printable fabric in the last issue (not the current one that is hitting the shelves now).

I don't remember what brand they thought was best, but I know they tried EQ, June Taylor, Printed Treasures, and I think, BJS. The one they didn't test, is the one I wanted to know more about, and that is Color Textiles.

Diane in Colorado Springs

Comment

During the past couple of years, I have reverted to Printed Treasures, but i really like to use fabric used in the quilt for my labels instead of always plain white.

NOTE: C. Jenkins company now has a Bubble Jet Set specially geared to Hewlett Packard printers. I just got some because when I do BJS fabric printing, I was not happy with how it came out using my new HP printer with Vivera inks. (Inks faded with first wash and came out a bit "smudgy.") I contacted Jenkins by email and was told that I should use the HP BJS, instead. I ordered some over the internet from them (couldn't find it around here), and am happy with it.

I just did my first batch of labels with it, and they DO come out brighter after washing.

For those who "don't like the mess," I use skirt hangers to dry my BJS soaked sheets over the laundry tub. No muss, no fuss, and they are dry in 1/2 hour. Well worth the mess to use a wider range of fabrics for labels (or just to save money by making up a bunch of your own white fabric -- it is WAY cheaper!!!).

BethMI

Comment

I have found that the printer you use has a lot to do with the outcome.

Comment

http://www.gloriahansen.com/articles.php?p=1&ID=3/

Gloria Hansen has written numerous books on this subject. I think about 15. She gives an article on her website on inkjet fabric printing. I posted the link above. If you are really into printing on fabric, join the Yahoo group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/inkjetfabricprinting, where you will learn everything from the folks who "know" cause it is their livelihood. What Alex Anderson is to the quilt world, Gloria Hansen is to inkjet fabric printing.

Learn about Golden's digital printing mediums and Inkaid. Very informative and free information. Also, Gloria has many examples of what holds up. Check this out here: http://www.gloriahansen.com/weblog/?p=6060

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 59 users online. 0 members and 59 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X