[vb_main_1]

fusable interfacing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

fusable interfacing

Does anyone know if they make a fusible interface that once washed doesnt fuse anymore. I am working on a quilt with some fine detail that I would like to fuse down then edge stitch but once I am done I don't want the stiff look of stabilizer. Any ideas?
    Drew

GO TO RICKY'S WEBSITE AND THEN TO THE QUILT SIDE AND THE STORE HE HAS A FUSIBLE THAT IS WATER SOLUBLE -- iT DOESN'T WASH AWAY JUST GETS SOFT AND i AM SURE IF YOU E MAILED HIS WEBSITE HE COULD EXPLAIN HOW IT WORKS BETTER THAN i CAN SINCE I HAVEN'T USED IT YET (or you might get lucky and he will answer here whoo hoo) Ann

Comment

Thanks Ann I will try that!
      Drew

Comment

This is Esterita Austin's product which comes in white, black and ultraviolet that doesn't get affected by exposure to light. Her site is esteritaaustin.com. I have enjoyed using it to do raw edge applique with one of her landscape patterns. Jan

Comment

I love Esterita Austin's Misty Fuse! It is so light you don't even know it is there. I have used it to fuse tulle, as well as chiffon to a new art piece and can't even tell there is fusible under it :lol:

Comment

What's great about the Misty Fuse is that there is no right or wrong side.
            I bought a pack of Ricky's Stable Stuff at the super seminar but have not used it yet.
            eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
            Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Try this Drew, on the back side of your applique fabric, run a line of washable glue along the cutting line. Spread it thin and let it dry. Then cut out your pattern. Use spray adhesive to attach it to the background. Do your stitching and then soak out the glue. As with all such experiments, make samples to see if it works with your fabrics. Betty Ann

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Betty Ann-
                The tip about the fabric glue technique is great! Thanks for sharing.

kim

Comment

Betty that is a wonderful tip. I'll sure keep that in mind for my next appliqué'.
                  I have used the 'window' treatment before using a very light fusible when I made the circle quilt for my DGD. I cut a narrow strip (about 3/4" to 1" wide). Placed it so only about 1/2 of it was inside the piece straddling the cutting line...then when I cut I only had a small edge all the way around to fuse to the background. That left the inside of the piece fusible free.
                  I suppose it would depend on what you were trying to do whether this technique would work or not.

Comment

I have been using Ricky's Stable Stuff which is NOT fusible, but is wash-away.

Using Sharon Schamber's method of using Washable Elmer's school glue, I run the glue stick along the edge of my turn under applique edge, press (heat is important to good glue fusing) and then once again using the washable glue, glue it to my background.

The nice thing about Ricky's stable stuff is it is heavy enuf to use for the backing to keep the stitches from puckering up the background. (it's inside your turned under edge) and then when you wash it, it goes totally piable and soft.

I've made my entire Sue Garmon BOM using this method.

Good luck, Drew!
                    Lynn

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 48 users online. 0 members and 48 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X