[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

surface design

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw the Smilebox of Caryl's work at Paducah this morning and I almost cried at my computer. So beautiful, so thought provoking, so emotional, so much mastery of technique. Wow! Many created while I was learning to quilt and many created recently. And all useful quilts. Well, except for maybe the watch repairman... How odd. That's the one that's almost standing out most in my mind right now. I want to know more about it and its story... :?: Hmmm...

Comment

I so agree Keith. Her work is breathtaking. If I could be half as good I would be thrilled. Her quilts are such an inspiration.

Carla

Comment

I have had Caryl's quilts on my mind all day since watching the slide show this morning. Her work is outstanding and so beautiful. The detail is so precise. That kind of creativity is awsome. I have put her on my list of workshops to get to one day-that would be great.
        Karen

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

Does she quilt using a long-arm or home sewing machine? Does anyone know?

Her quilts are so large!

BethMI

Comment

Originally posted by BethMI
            Does she quilt using a long-arm or home sewing machine? Does anyone know?

Her quilts are so large!

BethMI
            Caryl quilts using an older Bernina and says she just folds and fluffs and only worries about the 6 inches that she is quilting at the moment....she also puts lots of tables and supports around her to hold the weight of the quilt as she is working on that important 6 inches of quilting.
            Karen

Comment

She's been doing beautiful quilting that way for the last 20 years - she learned from Harriet I think (or was doing it at the same time Harriet was teaching it to the rest of the world) - and she is one of the machine quilting pioneers that helped get us where we are today. Her lectures and seminars are great!

Doesn't she use the "puddle" method? And is she the one that kind of started that term? I think she 'puddles' like Karen described - working on an area while the rest of the quilt is in kind of accordion-like casual piles on tables around the area she's working on. I don't think she used to do much formal 'packaging' (rolling and folding) to get her quilts through her domestic Bernina.

Comment

Keith, go to Carol's website, gallery, 2008 quilts. Click on Watch Master and there's a story about the quilt and her father the watch maker.
                There's so much to see in the quilt, everytime I look at it I can notice something new.

Cher in BC

Vancouver, BC Canada

Comment

Keith -Thanks for reminding me of the term "puddling" your fabric...I knew folding isn't what she did, but had one of those brain burps and couldn't remember the term. :? Karen

Comment

Thanks, Cher! I forgot how much information there was on her web site... And actually I didn't even think to go check her web site again. Brain Burp. Karen, they are coming harder and faster for me. It's scary, especially because I know I don't always know when I'm Brain Burping.

Comment

Boy Keith I can sure relate to that alright...I have always hoped that keeping my brain busy with quilting and Scrabble would stave off some of those burps, but alas they still seem to have come and will no doubt stay since I am not getting any younger these days. Oh but some say age is just a number and I do believe that one whole heartedly! How about you?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 43 users online. 0 members and 43 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X