[vb_main_1]

Backing for 2013 BOM quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing for 2013 BOM quilt

I have purchased 5 yards of backing fabric for my quilt but am unsure about how to cut it. It seems like it could be cut into two 2 yard pieces and then seamed down the middle, but this leaves an extra yard of fabric. So, it doesn't seem to be the correct way to piece it. I must be missing something obvious!! Any advice would be appreciated

Originally posted by casciamom
    I have purchased 5 yards of backing fabric for my quilt but am unsure about how to cut it. It seems like it could be cut into two 2 yard pieces and then seamed down the middle, but this leaves an extra yard of fabric. So, it doesn't seem to be the correct way to piece it. I must be missing something obvious!! Any advice would be appreciated
    Depending on the width of the fabric, I think it would be correct to cut it that way. To make sure, measure the width, and if times 2 it doesn't go beyond your finished top (I leave at least 4 to 5 inches all around on a big quilt) then you won't have enough.
    My finished quilt top is a little bigger than what it was supposed to be ( 81 X 81 instead of 79 1/2 x 79 1/2) because I will leave more fabric around the appliqués on the border. My back fabric was only 40 inches wide once washed/dried and the selvage cut, so I needed 3 lenghts - I'll have a large piece left from this (actually, 2 pièces, because I "centered" it in the back so the seams would fall right behind the sashing).

Hope that helps.

Andrée

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 52 users online. 0 members and 52 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
    X