[vb_main_1]

Liquid thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquid thread

I'm just starting on my appliqué. (Life doesn't always go as planned.) I elected to try Margo's glue/stabilizer method and I am having issues. There are many sharp angles on the pattern and where I have had to snip the fabric to accommodate the pattern I find that I am frequently unable to turn even a single thread of the fabric to the back of the stabilizer. In these places the applique is essentially raw edge without the fusible web to secure the edge. When I attach the applique pieces to the background fabric should I use a little liquid thread in these "raw edge" areas to keep the fabric from fraying? I would like the quilt to hold up to frequent laundering.

Has anyone used liquid thread with the raw edge applique technique on a quilt that is washed frequently? It seems like it would be a whole lot faster than cutting out all those fusible web pieces.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Welcome to the forum, Bluesky.

If you are talking about the notches created by cliping on inside curves, I haven't had any problem with fraying when I stitch the appliques with either the narrow zig-zag, or vari-overlock, or blanket stitch.

If you are concerned, you might want to make a sample of one motif with lots of clips, using the stitch you are most comfortable with, and run it through a couple of laundry cycles with your regular wash and examine it for fraying.

Comment

Thanks Margo! After I posted I realized that my hybrid approach wouldn't work after all since the permanent glue would be on the stabilizer (which dissolves) and not on the fabric. I had the most difficulty turning the tear drops on the reverse applique tulips. Maybe I'll satin stitch around those and hope for the best. Does the glue really wash out? I think I am on my third stick. Am I using too much?

Thank you for your tutorials. I really learned a lot from them. You have a gift for teaching!

Comment

Thanks for the kudos, Bluesky.

I find that the glue does wash out, and I am REALLY generous with it! If you have any doubts, just glue a couple of pieces of fabric together with LOTS of glue and throw it in a regular load of laundry. See if they are still stuck together at the end of the cycle!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 30 users online. 0 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X