Month Six—Appliqué the bottom border

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Just reporting in.

I decided to stay with turned-edge applique for the whole quilt so have spent the first half of June doing the Stable Stuff / template / glue / orange stick routine. Oh, also doing the circles - now a piece of cake, thanks to Margo!

I again stitched the pattern without thread to create a stencil and then pounced chalk through it onto the border strip for an accurate layout. Well, there was a slight cat-related incident that meant I had to dust off a portion of the chalk and re-position the stencil. But it all worked out (doesn't it always when you have cats in the sewing room?), and I have completed glue-basting and then doing a quick thread-baste on the pieces, all ready to finish the applique stitching.

The 1/2-inch vine works for me, except for the short pieces. I just now saw the separate post on making 3/8-inch binding from our 1-inch strips and will give that a shot, with the hope of switching out the short pieces.

So my 2 glaring errors for this month (which I will leave in, because I am not perfect and so my quilts contain that imperfection as a reflection of me) are: (1) somehow I missed that the small pairs of leaves are both light and dark - mine are both dark; and (2) one of the smaller tulips slipped slightly when I was doing the inner applique before glue-basting the piece to the border.

Of course, that doesn't account for all my not-yet-noticed errors, but I'm not looking too closely hah.

So much fun - I can't even begin to say how much!

Barb in Alabama

Comment

Good job Barb!! And I LUV your perforate/pounce method for transferring the pattern!

There are no quilt police allowed here, so your leaves can be any color you want them to be!! :lol:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

It looks really great Barb - very neat and tidy. They must be Irish flowers in those colours.

Comment

Thanks, Margo! I was kind of dreading stitching the pattern, but it took maybe 20 minutes and I know it saved me a lot of time in the long run. (Not to mention the benefit of avoiding the aggravation factor involved in getting the placement just right :wink: )

Barb in Alabama

Comment

Thank you, Rita! I would LOVE LOVE to visit Ireland and see the Irish flowers. Maybe some day....

Barb

Comment

Makes for a very pretty pic Barb....love your pounce idea too, makes it look very accurate for placement of the many and varied pieces to be attached to the border.
                Gail, Far North Queensland, Australia

Comment

I may have to re-visit that pounce method. I bought all the stuff buy have never been very successful with the results on just regular stencils never mind the paper. My husband is a sign man and has used this method for years when doing fine hand lettering.

It looks quite beautiful regardless.

denise

Comment

Thanks, Gail and Denise!

I wish I had thought of making stencils last year when I was doing a Jacobean BOM through my local quilt store. I spent hours (literally) measuring and moving and resetting and occasionally swearing, and finally reached a state of nirvana-it's-good-enough. If I had stitched the patterns, it would have reduced a couple of hours on each block to maybe 15 minutes. That one was all raw-edge, which went fast after I got the placement accomplished.

Of course, the Jacobean is waiting on me to quilt it, but by golly it's all assembled.

Barb in Alabama

Comment

I have finally posted a picture of my border. I'm doing the hand appliqué method so it has taken me some time. I uploaded the center section to the show and tell area. Thanks Margo for the idea of the gold paper. Made a big difference.

Denise

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 35 users online. 0 members and 35 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X