[vb_main_1]

Where do I go to start this quilt?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I go to start this quilt?

Hi all! I'm new to the quilt show website. I'd love to start Stars for a new day 2009, but after several searches I'm not finding information that tells me what to buy. Are classes/lessons on a DVD for purchase? Or do I find the lessons by watching previous shows via my membership? I hope you don't mind such elementary questions, I realize everyone here has already done their quilt... what do latecomers end up doing?

Christine (sheepish grin)

Welcome to TQS Christine! Stars for a New Day was a wonderful BOM for 2009; the pattern was available on the website for the calendar year of 2009 and then was taken down and to my knowledge is no longer available. Our current BOM for 2011 is still available for another month, so you might want to check it out and download it if you think you might be interested in making it. Sue Garman designed both of these wonderful BOMs, and the directions are excellent. Nancy

Comment

Hi Christine, Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about asking questions that might have been asked before, somebody will always point you in the right direction. I joined too late for that lovely quilt as well, however it is available to buy on the Quakertown Quilts website. Here's a link -

http://www.quakertownquilts.com/cata...+for+a+new+day

Good luck and I hope you enjoy TQS as much as I do. Rita.

Comment

Thank you!! I found the patterns on the website, I'm looking forward to starting this one.

Comment

Christine - can we be quilting buddys on this quilt?, I did start it in 2009 (actually it is one of the main reasons I joined the site), however, due to family circumstances, it fell by the wayside in May of that year, but I am now thinking that I really must pick it up again.

Comment

I would love to be your quilting buddy! I'm so glad you asked. I ordered the first month's lesson from Quakertown Quilts last night, it should be here in a few days. I was trying to find a fabric requirement for the entire quilt so I could start buying fabrics, but it looks like I'll have to wait until the lesson gets here. I've seen several photos of the finished quilt in the archives, wow... some ladies have faaaabulous color choices.

Comment

While you are waiting for the pattern to turn up it is really worth while going and having a read of the various threads that were created whilst this quilt top was running, probably starting from the bottom of the list to find the beginning. The main essential is to be rigorous in your accuracy in cutting & sewing of the 1/4" seam allowance, I although personally I would say that the finished measures on the face side being right is more important than the seams being exactly 1/4". Do use the same rulers for your cutting, and also do use the same thread for all your stitching! with these small pieces it can make a lot of difference over the distance. The good news is that the rounds of floater borders are great for re-adjusting the size if you go off a bit :wink: 8)

Comment

Margo has a great tutorial to help you get your 1/4" seam just right. I found out the hard way that being out by even 1/16th of an inch on a long pieced border that you can fall short by as much as 3"! Here's the link.

http://daily-blog/103-good-advice/14...-seam-accuracy

If you go to the classroom Sue Garman has some useful tutorials on paper piecing and accuracy with measuring,cutting, sewing and pressing.

Comment

Thank you for the advice! I watched the first video last night and saw the part where we need to keep 4 things in mind... measure right, cut right and I forget the other 2. LOL I'm a woodworker, Norm drilled this into me (I've watched a ton of "This Old House" through the years) "measure twice, cut once". I'm sure I'll make a few mistakes along the way, but in the video Sue gave an example how to fix mistakes. She used one of her own and that was priceless, if she can flub up it's ok if I do the same. She's pretty classy.

Comment

Christine I bet being a woodworker you are already pretty precise. Whenever I make something out of wood I am quickly reminded I can't "ease" it in and fudge it at all!
                    Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Christine~ May I just take a moment here to say that if Rosemary wants to be a quilting buddy on this project you just fell into a pot of jam! Check her profile. She's amazing!

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

I found a pdf file that suggests substitutes for yardage, would this be the materials list for the quilt?

learn/all-boms

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Christine, that list is for the 2011 BOM, (Ruffled Roses) not the Stars For a New Day.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I found the link to this pdf file on the Stars for a New Day page, shown here:
                            learn/all-boms

It's included on the Stars for a new day page in error. I checked the BOM 2011 page, and it is indeed a materials list for the 2011 BOM quilt. It's a good thing I asked! The pdf file doesn't have the name of any quilt on it, not even the date of the BOM it was created for. Whew! I'm very glad I asked. Including this on the BOM 2009 page is certainly confusing!

(I sent a note to the website tech support just now.)

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Christine, welcome to the TQS family! I did the Stars for a New Day with my own fabric choices. I do remember that I had quite a lot of the background fabric left over. I made flying geese instead of two half square triangles for the sawtooth stars so perhaps that was some of it! I used lots of scraps for the rest, so I can't tell you how much that was.

Everyone is correct, cutting and piecing accuracy is so important. Between 2009 and now I've improved a lot on my piecing . Starch and frequent measuring of pieces as you go will make a huge difference. It's a gorgeous quilt when it's finished and you'll have a treasure.

Kathy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 54 users online. 0 members and 54 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X