important question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

important question

hi sara and every body else that do BOM this year,
    sara on the video for example month 9 you show how to quilt empty spaces, my question is
    do you quilt after every thing is done or due the stabilator paper/fabric under neeth do you quilt
    each moth the piece that you just saw?
    and if you use the stabilator that stays do you need to add it to all the rest of the quilt to make it
    smooth or only on the embroidery pieces?
    thanks for letting me know
    cheers
    becky

Please use spell check or re-read your post before submitting. This is practically unreadable.

Comment

Originally posted by adamsme
      Please use spell check or re-read your post before submitting. This is practically unreadable.
      I understand what Becky is saying. You might want to remember that this is an international forum and not everyone has English as their native language. I personally wouldn't even be able to participate if this Web site was in any other language so am very impressed with those who can participate using a second (or third or fourth...) language for them.

Becky - I won't be quilting until the entire top is finished since this top really isn't suited for quilt-as-you-go. If I were doing trapunto, I would add batting and do the trapunto of each piece before putting it together, just like Patsy Thompson generally does. I don't know the answer for putting stabilizer under every piece. This is my first quilt where I've used Ricky's Soft Stuff and am planning on leaving it in, so I've been thinking about that myself and trying to decide. Hopefully, someone with experience will be able to answer that.

Nancy

Comment

I also had NO PROBLEM understanding the message as written! Beckyezra, please keep contributing to the forum. I don't know where you live, but the very fact that most Americans cannot speak a second language at all, speaks very well for those who live in another country and learn English in addition to their native language. I find it very sad that a fellow quilter here would be so insensitive... and if in fact, if any post has something that a reader doesn't understand, just asking for a clarification is all that is needed!

As for quilting, I would quilt the whole quilt the regular way when the whole top is completed. If you hand quilt or machine quilt, do it when the top is finished.

For the leave in stabilizer, I asked Margo this a while back. When she uses it, she only has it on the areas she pieced with it, not on the other areas. Because it turns to a soft fluff when washed, it almost disappears, leaving only a tiny bit of loft. I plan on using it, and leaving it in and having some areas with it and some without it. Your final batting will help to even it all out when quilting.

Hope this helps!!

Comment

Thanks for the info, Michelle! I was leaning towards leaving the stabilizer out where not needed, and now I know that's what I'll do. It's good to have confirmation from someone who knows what they're doing!

Nancy

Comment

Ease up ! I understood what what was being askt, too ! Somedays my English ain't sa good , either !! :roll: :roll:

Comment

Becky, that was a great question--I'm glad you asked it because I am struggling too with how to deal with the empty spaces in my BOM and am very glad that both Nancy and Michelle provided some good advice. I am behind with my BOM so this will give me a good chance to think more about what I will do with the blank spaces and how I will do it. You don't want my advice because I am a beginner! :lol:

Comment

thank you ever so much for the answer, and supporting my 'great' spelling /english. i am dyscletic. i do run a spell check on mails but i dont know how to run it on this site. thanks for every thing, it is clear now what do i need to do. thanks again

Comment

I admire you very much, Becky. Your profile says you live in the Netherlands, and my guess is that you know several languages. I often have to rely on internet translators and their sometimes less-than-perfect translations in my business because all I speak is English (unless you count "Cowboy" as a dialect -- I grew up on a ranch!). So, I'm sure you'll laugh, but here's my attempt to send you a message in Dutch:
                  Ik hou van uw grote vragen. Ze helpen me leren. Bedankt.

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

:wink:
                    that is kneet!
                    i do speak Hebrew, italian, english, dutch, all of them in so deep dyslixia...
                    but as i say all the time - the one who wants to understand my language what ever it is, is just fine, and the one
                    who dont want to understand my language what ever it is can be perfect - they will not understand it either.
                    i will do my best to run spell checker on mail and then to copy and paist it to here.
                    thanks for all the support !

Comment

Becky - You really don't need to waste your time running a spell checker in email before posting here, unless that is what you want to do. I've never had any problem understanding any of your posts. To me, this is a forum where we get to share our love of quilting with all of our new, good friends around the world. Not where we improve our spelling or grammar in whatever language we are using. If I ever don't understand something, I'll simply ask and whoever is posting can clarify that for me. But usually when I don't understand something, it's not because of how the post was written but instead because I'm being a bit slow. At least that's my opinion....

Nancy

Comment

thank you for all of you guys!
                        it makes me more welcome.
                        thanks again

Comment

Becky--I agree with Nancy!

Comment

Ditto. Keep askin questions - everyone- and we can all learn from the responses given, and the resulting chatter. :P :P :P

Comment

Ditto to all that's been said Becky! I never had a problem understanding your posts. I wish I could speak all those languages. I'm glad you asked the question. I have all the materials but haven't started yet with the BOM. I've been reading all the posts related to it so, when I finally get to work on it hopefully it'll be easier.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 80 users online. 0 members and 80 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X