Questions for Sarah - Month 7 (July)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for Sarah - Month 7 (July)

Hello Everyone,

Creating this topic to make sure that I see the questions that are directed to me. I am loving seeing all the photos posted in the Show and Tell. Everyone is doing a fantastic job with their quilts!

Sarah :-)

Hi Sarah, will the Bernina mega hoop allow any fewer hoopings this month, as it did last month? I am really enjoying using the embroidery unit this way. Thank you for your brilliant design

Comment

Hello Mandy,

Yes - the Mega hoop will allow you to do fewer hoopings!

Thanks so much for your kind words - they are really appreciated.

Comment

Hi Sarah
        I am finally ready to begin but have a few more questions. The month 6 stitching instructions (pg 5) read "Print 1 copy of Month 06 Template-Emb.pdf onto regular copy paper. Join tiled pages for each block." However I don't see in the rest of the instructions for month 6 where it says what the 1 copy of regular paper is for? You refer to tracing the lines from the template onto the stabilizer then basting the background fabric to the stabilizer.
        In the month 7 the instructions say to make 3 copies onto regular copy paper, but it looks like you used stabilizer not paper under the fabric in the video and the instructions refer to the stabilizer not copy paper.
        I don't mean to be dense, but am a little confused about printing on regular copy paper part. Do I to use the regular copy paper and baste my fabric to that or should I use the Ricky Tims Stable Stuff rather than regular paper. I am using the full embroidery designs from your website. I don't know why this is so difficult for me. I am not new at machine embroidery! ops:
        Thanks again, and I promise to upload my Sedona Star soon!

Comment

I read that we were to cut the background fabric for blocks 6-7-8. It said we should have 9 blocks cut but I can't find out what size I am to cut it. Have read instructions over several times but must be blind or something because I can't find it. Thanks for your help. Marilyn Geraldson

Comment

Marilyn,
            The background size is 13" x 16" - the cutting instructions are in the June download for all 3 months of applique blocks.
            Manuela

Comment

Hi Sarah,
              OK, I have done the 6-1x and the 6-1y-1 sections on the embroidery. Worked beautifully. Really looks good. Now I am trying to do the 6-1y-2. When I line up the placement lines stitched on the stabilizer and the appropriate lines on the background the applique placement lines stitch about 1/4" too high. I started over with a new piece of stabilizer, and relined up the background, but the same thing happened. I don't know what the problem is. I am using the full blown emb. that I purchased from you. Any suggestions?? Cynthia

Comment

Hi Cynthia,

That doesn't sound good. Which format are you using? Did you turn your machine off after the first attempt and and on again before the second attempt? It sounds like your module may have been knocked, but then the whole design would have moved when you did the second attempt. 6-1y-2 is a mirror image of 6-1y-1 so if you know how to mirror a design in your machine, then you could try that. I am looking at both designs right now, and there isn't anything that i can see that is out of place. Rebooting your machine (turning it off and on again) would be my best suggestion.

Kind regards,

Comment

Hello clandy,

In month 6, you are going to trace the lines from the template (printed onto regular copy paper) onto your background stabilizer (see page 5). Then you are going to use it as the template for paper piecing the border on (bottom of page 8) . The instructions included with the full blown embroidery are for one block - so you will need to do everything 3 times.

I can't find the place in the month 7 instructions where it says to print 3 copies onto regular copy paper. The full blown embroidery instructions are the same as for month 6 (print 1 copy onto regular copy paper - but this is for each block)) and the "regular" instructions say to print 3 copies onto stabilizer. If you are doing the full blown embroidery then stick with that set of instructions!!!

Which ever way you are doing the applique, you will always have a background piece of stabilizer. You will always stitch onto stabilizer. The paper is only for the piecing part of the block. In the video I am most definitely stitching onto stabilizer!

Hope this helps.
                  Kind regards,

Comment

I finally succeeded in getting 6 1y-2 done. I did end up mirroring 1y-1 but I still had to make some adjustments. got it looking pretty good. Now I am ready to do the bottom, and IT doesn't quite line up right. I will work 'til I can get it right.

I have been using my 7 x 12 hoop, because that is what came up when I loaded the designs. If I switch to the 5 x 7, which you really formatted for, do you think it will work better. I will probably try that with the second block. I love the look of the full embroidery, but still have 8 blocks to do!!! I don't think I would be happy with just the satin stitch.

I am learning a lot about my machine and myself! Thanks, Cynthia

Comment

Cynthia,

Can you send me some photos of what you are doing? It should all line up perfectly, and I don't know why it isn't doing. I'd like to get to the bottom of this!

Comment

I've obviously missed something along the way (since generally every time I've messed up I can look back and see precisely the instruction I "missed" in my hurry to get sewing), but I can't figure out where.

When I add the borders to my applique blocks, I only have stabiliser in the centre of the borders. The instructions I read directed me to cut the stabiliser at 13x16, which is fine, then remove the second layer which was hooped to do the applique. Should I be leaving that second layer on as it would cover a bit more of the borders?

As it's too late for month 6 unless I baste a new layer behind the blocks I may try just attaching them without and see how that goes.

Comment

HI Sarah, I have finished my first Month 7 block, when I got to the file for Month 7-2, I found I had to turn the applique round to have the top of the block at the top of the hoop, as stiching it out with the top of the applique to the left of the hoop made the heart the wrong way round. Should I have done something on my machine to turn it round? The Month 7 instructions say it should be top of the applique to the left.
                          Still enjoying the embroidery though
                          Mandy

Comment

Hi Mandy,

That is an error in my instructions :cry: - thanks for pointing it out. The fabric will be square in the hoop with the top at the top of the hoop when stitching month 7-2.

Sorry about that,

Comment

Hi, Sarah.

I am loving the embroidery part of the Sedona Star. I did month six using the paid design off your website and it came out fantastic! I'm running out of my favorite stabilizer called Aqua Tear, which I used to buy in Los Angeles before I moved to the Phoenix area. I can't find it anywhere in this area or online. It's lighter than normal tear away, so is gentler on the stitches when removing it. What stabilizer to do you use for embroidery? (I figured I can't go wrong with your preference!). Thanks for your help.

Kathy A

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 194 users online. 0 members and 194 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X