[vb_main_1]

alternate method of applique - month 2

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternate method of applique - month 2

I'm not a fan of applique using fusible webbing and top stitching with blanket stitches. Is there an alternative way using wash-away applique sheets & invisible thread. How can I achieve those sharp points? Mona

Mona, I feel your pain! I have been debating this very issue for months! I concluded that it would not be possible to get the sharp points using Beth Ferrier's method of turned applique by machine - I'm guessing that's the method you're referring to. I paper pieced Month 2, which gave me very satisfying points. Otherwise, though, I think I will have to fold and go with fused applique. Looking ahead to the applique months, there are some pretty small teardrop shapes, and I don't think that turned applique by machine method will work well there either. By hand, sure, but it will be difficult to combine with the paper pieced edges.

I have a photo on my blog of a gorgeous fused applique quilt done by another TQS member, Sandy Lawrence. It was also a Sarah Vedeler design, and Sandy won two major prizes for it. It's the quilt that changed my mind! You can see it here: http://www.lakeviewstitching.com/201...er-myself.html

And my paper pieced Month 2 is here: http://www.lakeviewstitching.com/201...r-month-2.html

Good luck!

Comment

thanks for repling. wish I had this layout last weekend. I did use beth's method with ok results. after gluey fingers i twirled the points then cut excess fabric away. I've printed your layout for paper piecing if I attempt this block ever again. question: do you recommend the zig-zag stitch or a blanket stitch when using beth's method? I'm relatively new to quilting - only 3 years. I've set aside this year for some intense learning with this sedona star pattern and baby jane blocks. also hope to learn to machine quilt with home machine. again thanks for replying. it was very helpful. mona

Comment

Although I have been dabbling in quilting for over 30 years, this year is my first year of doing it seriously, so I am really pretty new too. I was not that happy with my results from Beth Ferrier's method. Maybe I need to practice it some more, but right now I really couldn't make a recommendation one way or the other. The idea, though, is to keep your stitches as invisible as possible.

Happy stitching!

Comment

I've got all the parts & pieces together except the September's set-in triangles. I had to find extra fabric so .... I would like to try doing the feather pattern for the triangles using Sharon Schamber's domestic trapunto method but a fellow quilter thought that the feathers were too close together to make an effective trapunto quilt pattern. I've never tried to incoporate trapunto into a quilt before and wanted the challenge. I was also worried about getting any accurate piece cut from the traputo fabric. Any suggestions from anyone in cyber land.
          I've only been quilting 4 years & this is my first attempt at a BOM. It's been interesting & I have learned alot. Thanks Sarah Vedeller for a great design!
          Mona

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26 users online. 0 members and 26 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X