No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Questions for Sarah - Month 2 (February)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Syd,
    What are the dimensions of your center circle? Can you send me a pic?
    Sarah :-)

Comment

Hi sarah, I have given u top & bottom pics & one of the centre just lying on the top of the outer one & u can see that technically it looks like it should fit but i think i need another 1/4 of an inch from somewhere on my centre.

Measuring across the outer piece from stitch line to stitch line it is 16 1/4 "give or take a thread here & there & my centre is exactly 16 5/8 across.

The only other thing im considering is appliquing it , but i really dont want to do that.

also if were prerssing the log cabin triangles towards the appliqued diamonds, how are we suposed to attatch the circle, cos it seems like it would be better to stitch tose sections if the Triangle/diamond seams were pressed towards the triangles

hope the pics arnt too big

thanks

syd

3 of 5

Comment

Hi sarah , well its only got worse as the day has gone on, i tried tacking around the join again with 1/8 "seam , & it was looking like it would be a better fit, but the paper is falling apart quite fast now & my log cabing are starting to come apart & i have no accurate paper left to repair them, i think im going to have to applique it , which is dissapointing because i really didnt want to have to do that, but cant see any other way around it, look forward to hearing from u

syd

Comment

Hi Syd,

First of all - I love the colors that you have chosen for your quilt. It is going to be beautiful when it is finished.

Don't worry about the paper falling off the triangles, in fact since it is falling off if would probably be better if you took it all off, since it looks like you did the stay stitching, and then you won't have to worry about it!

The center circle should measure 16.5" when it is finished (i.e. the quilt top has been put together). When you add seam allowances, the center circle (made in month 1) should be 17" diameter, and the hole it is going into should measure 16". I'm not too worried that your hole is 16.25" as you will be able to ease this to fit. If your circle/center is 16 5/8" then I'm thinking that your seam allowances are a little too generous.

Try the 1/8" seam again - after having removed the paper from the triangles. Not sure what else to suggest other than appliqueing it, but if I get a flash of inspiration I will definitely let you know.

Comment

Syd, I love the color combination you are using for you BOM.

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
              Syd, I love the color combination you are using for you BOM.
              thanks Ritzy, i just hope i can stick with it lol

Comment

Originally posted by SarahVedeler
                Hi Syd,

First of all - I love the colors that you have chosen for your quilt. It is going to be beautiful when it is finished.

Don't worry about the paper falling off the triangles, in fact since it is falling off if would probably be better if you took it all off, since it looks like you did the stay stitching, and then you won't have to worry about it!

The center circle should measure 16.5" when it is finished (i.e. the quilt top has been put together). When you add seam allowances, the center circle (made in month 1) should be 17" diameter, and the hole it is going into should measure 16". I'm not too worried that your hole is 16.25" as you will be able to ease this to fit. If your circle/center is 16 5/8" then I'm thinking that your seam allowances are a little too generous.

Try the 1/8" seam again - after having removed the paper from the triangles. Not sure what else to suggest other than appliqueing it, but if I get a flash of inspiration I will definitely let you know.

Hi Sarah, i finally got the centre attatched after 3 days of doing nothing but that , i did end up hand stitching it all in place. Taking all the foundation paper off really helped, I hope that is the worst part over with lol

bye for now

syd

Comment

I have the Fizz kit and I have a quilt shop owner who is able to order the 28 weight thread if I kow the colours you used of ther Aurifil thread. Are you able to disclose?

Joan

Comment

Syd ... It will be much easier from now on - you've done the worst bit!

Joan ... the thread colors are definitely not a secret! Try these:

2135 yellow
                    1133 orange
                    4020 pink
                    2250 red
                    2260 dark red

1147 (lt leaf green) and 2810 (turquoise) are great for the quilting. I'd use 50 or 40 wt for these.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahVedeler
                      Syd ... It will be much easier from now on - you've done the worst bit!

Well I am very pleased to hear that ,

Joan ... the thread colors are definitely not a secret! Try these:

2135 yellow
                      1133 orange
                      4020 pink
                      2250 red
                      2260 dark red

1147 (lt leaf green) and 2810 (turquoise) are great for the quilting. I'd use 50 or 40 wt for these.

Comment

Syd, Yours looks so lovely and your an inspiration to me because I keep thinking to myself "self you are in way over your head" LOL I have finished my month 2. It looks like everything will fit as it should when I sew the circles together even though my month 1 measured 16 5/8. I haven't taken a tape measure to the circles which is what I should do next. But think I'll wait until your video in month 3 to complete this task because I know you'll show me something I didn't know before.

As for stitching the applique down. Thank you Sarah I found that if I iron on the first set then blanket stitched, iron the next three then stitch, then the sun ray and stitch it had a very crisp finish. So thank you so much for that idea. Will post a picture shortly

Comment

Originally posted by fudsy
                          Syd, Yours looks so lovely and your an inspiration to me because I keep thinking to myself "self you are in way over your head" LOL I have finished my month 2. It looks like everything will fit as it should when I sew the circles together even though my month 1 measured 16 5/8. I haven't taken a tape measure to the circles which is what I should do next. But think I'll wait until your video in month 3 to complete this task because I know you'll show me something I didn't know before.

As for stitching the applique down. Thank you Sarah I found that if I iron on the first set then blanket stitched, iron the next three then stitch, then the sun ray and stitch it had a very crisp finish. So thank you so much for that idea. Will post a picture shortly

Thanks Fudsy, it certainly was a challenge, & i think if i could get beyond it anybody can, cos i was ready to cut it up & throw it out a few times over the weekend, just sheer determination got me through lol, im so glad its done :lol:

Comment

Finally finished month 1 by appliqueing the final border on and then adjusting it to be exactly 17". Hopefully I will now be on target. Seems I had wrong measurements all the way back to the first circle that should have been 11", mine was 10.5.

Can you please post the exact measurements of the month 2 block so I can be sure they are right on target to begin the month. Would like the measurements to be INCLUDING the seams prior to sewing them together.

Comment

Hi jetmaio,

The month 2 block should measure as follows:

The width across the points of the diamond (side to side) = 10.75"
                              The height of the diamond, point to point = 17.5" + a hair!!!

The two long sides of the diamond will be 12" finished - you will be attaching a 12" finished square to each of these sides.

The rectangle that shows up on the template should measure 8" x 16".

Hope this helps.

Comment

[quote]The month 2 block should measure as follows:

The width across the points of the diamond (side to side) = 10.75"
                                The height of the diamond, point to point = 17.5" + a hair!!!

The two long sides of the diamond will be 12" finished - you will be attaching a 12" finished square to each of these sides.

The rectangle that shows up on the template should measure 8" x 16".

Hope this helps.
                                Sarah
                                View My TQS Profile
                                SarahV

Thank you for the measurements, so far I am spot on.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 200 users online. 0 members and 200 guests.

Most users ever online was 397 at 04:22 PM on 09-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X