[vb_main_1]

Quilting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting

I realize that we are no where near finishing the quilt but I was looking at the quilting on the quilt. I realize that the quilt was more than likely done on a longarm and was probably quilted with invisible thread. My question is if we do not wish to have the quilt done by a longarm machine, what thread would you recommend, especially when there is so many different colors in the quilt.

Cheryl, I did quilt mine on my own long-arm, but did not use invisible thread. I used Superior's Masterpiece Cotton thread in a color that was similar to the khaki color in my quilt. If you don't want the quilting thread to show, you can use Superior's MonoPoly (a clear polyester) , or Maderia's Monolon or YLI monofiliment, which are both nylon products. I've used all of these products and like them all in both my domestic machine and Handi-Quilter.
    You can click twice on the photos for a closer view!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I, obviously, am not to the quilting stage yet, but I have definitely been thinking about it. I'm a threadaholic along with being a fabricholic, so am planning on using many threads in the quilting. For the background quilting around the appliques, I'll use a matching thread so that the quilting itself recedes. I already did the main quilting in the setting squares for the center block because I decided to use trapunto and was following Patsy Thompson's advice of adding the trapunto while piecing rather than waiting until the entire quilt is pieced. I'll echo quilt this quilting and do some background quilting using a thread matching the fabric. In other places I'll use contrasting threads, some maybe solid and some maybe variegated. I'll be a potpourri for sure! It will be as fun as the piecing!

Oh yeah, the quilting will be done on my domestic.

Comment

Margo,

If I did as beautiful work as you do I would not mind my quilting showing. Your quilts are very beautiful! You do a wonderful job! I have heard that you should not use polyester thread when using cotton. Is this true or not?

Comment

According to Bob Purcell (Superior Threads) that is not true.
          http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...dition-or-myth

Lots more thread information here:
          http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

Comment

Year is ending and we are coming closer to quilting this BOM. And I am a bit unsure of my self on that. So, I have made some decisions: I will use my home sewing machine for quilting. And do some free motion quilting. I've done free motion quilting on smaller projects, but not in this big, and that worries me little.
            Now as I look my work, I realize some areas look too bright and other areas kind of dull. I have used the fabrics I've had and they are not playing symphony together so to speak. Could I tune misbehaving areas by choosing right colour thread?

Comment

Satu, you definitely can change the look of your quilt with thread, even some thread painting, but you also want to be careful that you don't make everything blend together.
              Maybe you can use some of your scrap fabrics to try out thread colors to see what works best to achieve the look you want.

Here is a photo of "Sugar and Spice" by Renae Haddadin. This quilt is one solid piece of black fabric on one side, and a solid piece of white on the other. The entire design is done with thread:

Comment

Thank you for you answer, "Sugar and Spice" look amazing! It is good to make samples on the quilt this big. There are two areas I am not so happy, so I will experiment on left overs of those fabric. I am almost done on piecing, so excited to start quilting! :lol:

Originally posted by Margo
                Satu, you definitely can change the look of your quilt with thread, even some thread painting, but you also want to be careful that you don't make everything blend together.
                Maybe you can use some of your scrap fabrics to try out thread colors to see what works best to achieve the look you want.

Here is a photo of "Sugar and Spice" by Renae Haddadin. This quilt is one solid piece of black fabric on one side, and a solid piece of white on the other. The entire design is done with thread:

Comment

Are they still saying that it is not safe to use invisible thread on baby quilts? Jimmie

Comment

I believe invisible thread is still NOT recommended for baby quilts. If the thread were to unravel a bit, it can twist around a baby's toe or finger and not be noticed. The issue is the 'invisbility' not that it might be polyester or nylon, altho nylon would not be a good choice because it's kind of harsh, for lack of a better word. A regular poly or cotton thread would be fine for baby quilts.

And did you know that there is flame resistant batting now?? That's all I use for baby quilts... it won't burn or melt, like cotton or poly battings. It's called Dream Angel and made by Quilter's Dream Batting. Costs a bit more, but well worth it!!

Comment

No, I didn't know about the new batting, thanks. Jimmie

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21 users online. 0 members and 21 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X