[vb_main_1]

Tip on Quilting Applique Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip on Quilting Applique Quilt

As I approach the quilting stage of Hugs & Kisses, I realized I had never quilted a quilt like this. As fate would have it, my monthly newsletter from Jinny Beyer posted a link to an article on Quilting an Applique quilt. This was a hint for Jinny's 2010 BOM. I pass this info on to you. It is from the November 2010 issue of Machine Quilting Unlimited. http://www.mqumag.com/quiltapplique/

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Thanks, Libbi!! Great article! And congratulations on being so close on your Hugs & Kisses quilt. I'm eager to see it!.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that great article, Libbi!

Although they didn't have any photos of an example, the article did mention the fact that applique quilts were also stitched in a close grid right over all of the applique motifs!
      I was able to see a wonderful example of an antique quilt done that way a couple of weeks ago at a lecture by MeriKay Waldvogel.

The grid that I did on my Coxcomb quilt is not a closely stitched as the antique that I saw, but I really love the effect of stitching it like this, and this technique could certainly work on the Hugs & Kisses quilts.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Hi Libbi, thanks for that link to the quilting article. I've been thinking about how to quilt the 2011 BOM and this article has some very good advice. I may have to think about subscribing to MQU- I got the first couple of issues but it seemed like it was primarily for longarmers. What I've seen lately has made me reconsider.

Have fun quilting your Hugs and Kisses quilt. Will you post a close up so we can see the quilting when you're finished?

Kathy

Comment

Margo, all I can say is WOW! 8)

I have seen this all over quilting grid on antique quilts too. It is very effective.

I went mad with digitizing decorative stitches on my blocks and quilting over them really isn't an option. I am going to do the outline technique and then fill in with other motifs--I hope. But I have a few more steps to complete before I get to that stage. When I'm done, I'll post photos. That is, if it's not TOO bad a job. ops:

Comment

I'm in the same boat, Libbi! Just this morning I finished outline stitching and adding one line of echo stitching around all 66 blocks of my Bouquet of Friendship in order to provide a base for the background fills. Hopefully that will be enough to tie the blocks together, because they are all SOOOOO different! It's been wonderful fun getting to know all of the blocks up close and personal! Your machine embroidered fabric and machine applique are delightful!

I still have to do all the background fills, which will vary, and figure some way to quilt all the weird sashing pieces. What was I thinkin'???? :shock:

Oh yeah...then there are those humongous borders! :roll:

Comment

I can't wait to see it when you are finished. Those blocks that are now part of your quilt were my inspiration to attempt to digitize Hugs & Kisses. I did those under the guidance of Joanne Winn and deconstructed her designs to see how she digitized applique to create new fabrics and move forward from the blanket stitch and the satin stitch edge. Since my German is non-existent (well, I can sort of read a menu) and my French is elementary, I don't have the opportunity to take courses outside of what I can do on the internet.

Comment

Margo...your coxcomb quilt is beautiful! I have asked several long arm quilters if they would do crosshatch quilting for me and they said they couldn't. But, look at yours...it is just what I love. Did they just not want too? Can you not do that on some long arms? Just wondering...

Comment

Oh wow, Libbi. I am still way back in April on my Hugs and Kisses. Is that time travel? :lol: :lol: :lol: I look forward to seeing your finished quilt. I've been trying really hard to finish my Geisha quilt. I finished quilting the central scene and am now quilting the borders. Maybe after that I can get back to my Hugs and Kisses.

Margo, That is one gorgeous quilt. You never cease to amaze me. When are you going to start teaching classes at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival so I can come learn to quilt from you? :wink:

Cheers,

BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Originally posted by makesgeese
                    Margo...your coxcomb quilt is beautiful! I have asked several long arm quilters if they would do crosshatch quilting for me and they said they couldn't. But, look at yours...it is just what I love. Did they just not want too? Can you not do that on some long arms? Just wondering...
                    Thanks Barbara! Actually, I made that quilt several years before I got my long arm and it was quilted on my Bernina 1090 (machine from 1992) with a walking foot.
                    Crosshatching is very difficult to do on a long-arm. For one thing you can only stitch a small area at a time (depending on the size of your table) instead of stitching long continuous rows like you can do with a walking foot on a domestic machine. For another thing, stitching any bias angle is more difficult on a long-arm because of the way the tracks and wheels work. Have you ever tried to draw a 45 degree line with an Etch-A-Sketch? Same thing! It's easy to go horizontal or vertical, but any diagonal line needs to be guided by a ruler, and a lot of long-armers don't like working with rulers.

I also find that the only way I can get good cross-hatching is to mark the entire quilt, and long-armers don't like to mark customer's quilts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sewdreamy
                      Oh wow, Libbi. I am still way back in April on my Hugs and Kisses. Is that time travel? :lol: :lol: :lol: I look forward to seeing your finished quilt. I've been trying really hard to finish my Geisha quilt. I finished quilting the central scene and am now quilting the borders. Maybe after that I can get back to my Hugs and Kisses.

Margo, That is one gorgeous quilt. You never cease to amaze me. When are you going to start teaching classes at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival so I can come learn to quilt from you? :wink:

Cheers,

BJ

Thanks BJ, but being the Forum Housemother is all the responsibility I can handle right now!! :wink:

Comment

Margo...thank you for the info on crosshatching on a long arm. So, now I know. That means I'll have to master getting a "big" quilt done on my 440QE. There are so many quilter's that can...I just have to try. I want someone to offer a machine class where you work on your own "big" quilt and not just 12" square sandwiches. That class I would take. (The biggest quilts I've quilted are 42"X48" quilts for my great nieces and nephews.) Anyway...thanks again Margo!

Comment

So, about Coxcomb Margo. Did you change threads or use monoPoly? I can't see any color on anything which means you did one or the other! ha

Comment

Originally posted by QuilterLynn
                            So, about Coxcomb Margo. Did you change threads or use monoPoly? I can't see any color on anything which means you did one or the other! ha
                            Hi Lynn! I had to go check, but I used a monofiliment on top and a fine cotton thread in the bobbin. It was probably YLI nylon and Mettler silk finish cotton, because it was before I knew about Superior.

Comment

Thanks, Margo. It looks great. I just really like cross hatching as a look.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 68 users online. 0 members and 68 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X