[vb_main_1]

Freezer paper and starch prepared applique

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezer paper and starch prepared applique

I print out an extra set of the four assembly layouts. i then glue them together with glue stick, cutting the margins to under a half inch.

Next I iron freezer paper to the front AND back of the entire block layout.

Cut them apart carefully on the lines and sort into color piles. The large multi-layer pieces are left intact and sorted into the pile for the outside color.

Fabric is cut with seam allowance around each paper piece.

I then use a mixture of liquid starch (1 unit) and water (2 units) to 'paint the seam allowance and iron them around the reinforced papers. (starch mixture is kept in my sprayer bottle and I use it for starching piecing and finished quilt tops.) I use two pins through each pattern and into my ironing surface to keep things in place. (a touch of washable glue stick now and then.)

Multiple layer pieces are first formed with the outside color, then the reinforced pattern is removed and re-cut for the next fabric.

Yes, this is a little more wasteful of the freezer paper, but It is quick and dead accurate as I am doing NO tracing, just cutting on the lines as they show through the freezer paper.

I use a light box, and Roxnne's Glue-Baste-it to attach my prepared applique pieces to the background.

What a great idea. Thank you for sharing. After I read your description I wondered why I had never thought outside the box and thought of that. I love it when folks share because it keeps things fresh and new even for an old quilter like myself.

Thanks again and I plan on trying your method next!

JoJo

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

That does sound like a great idea to avoid the tracing! Thanks!
      Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

WELL DUH!!! :shock: Great idea!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 52 users online. 0 members and 52 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
        X