[vb_main_1]

Month 10 Delectable Mountains

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 10 Delectable Mountains

We're closing in on the end of this project. Here is my blog with tips for the Delectable Mountains outer border:

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/2017/10/halo-star-medallion-month-10.html

For my own quilt, I made an Alternate, check out those instructions here:

http://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/2017/10/halo-star-medallion-month-10-my.html

Enjoy!

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

I saw both of your blog posts a little earlier this morning. I like your alternate border but I also like the DM blocks. I look forward to your blog posts (and your Sunday Sew and Sews) as much as I look forward to the next month's instructions being released!

I don't know if you will continue the posts beyond the last official month or not. I'm thinking of quilting my own quilt although I'm worried about its size given that I would use my domestic machine. I would love to see a discussion of quilting ideas --- especially using rulers. My FMQ skills are almost non-existent, but I do alright when I use rulers.
    Becky

Comment

Becky, thank you for your kind words, nice to know you look forward to the blogs.

I am seriously considering quilting this one myself. After all, I bought a Bernina Q20 sit-down longarm so I can quilt my own. I love ruler work and have posted several blogs about that. The only part of my quilt that needs "fancy" quilting is the background of the curved flying geese blocks, and that really has to look good. Yes, I will continue to blog about this one for a while and share on TQS. I'm hoping the 14 Halo Sunday Sew and Sews will get their quilts done by Fall 2019 for a special exhibit as a group.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I've had your blog as one of my Feedly subscriptions since the beginning of this year. I drooled all over my iPad when I saw your Q20 and was aware of your fondness for ruler work. It felt a little forward to ask for you to continue with these but I also wanted to let you know you would have an audience (of at LEAST ME!) should you decide to continue. I know the posts are a lot of work, in no small part due to needing to interrupt your own work to take pictures!

I don't always comment, but I always read your posts. I should resolve to comment more often.

Becky

Comment

I just downloaded the instructions for Month 10 and started pulling fabric. Can you tell me why the white background triangle is 6-3/4" cut on the diagonal and the focus fabric background triangle is 7" cut on the diagonal? I'm doing scrappy and inches matter ;-) If I'm misreading or missing something please let me know...Thanks Jaci

Comment

Jaci, ding, ding, ding! You WIN the prize--if there was one, of course, and there isn't.. In proofing this I found that discrepancy too and we decided not to change it, figuring no one would notice. Yes, they are exactly the same pieces, just from two different fabrics, and yes, they should be the same size. I couldn't ask Sue why she did it this way, but you can use either measurement for those squares. Good catch!

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Thanks again...that little 1/4" x 24 is going to give me enuf fabric to get the cutting done today! I was determined to make this quilt without buying any fabric and so far so good Loving it BTW.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Becky I'm also planning on quilting my quilt on my domestic machine. Was planning on doing it in sections, and currently have the pinwheels on. May leave the last couple rows until the center is quilted. I can fmq, but don't do any ruler work yet, so this project is a learning experience in many ways.

Comment

So I am cutting fabric this morning and while I wondered about squares went ahead and did them. But I am now wondering toward floaters. I will not have enough length of grain for the entire length of the last floater. How does everyone feel about piecing with miter in this length? I have others that I could use but not really liking that option.

Comment

Sawdust, I pieced several of the floaters. I use a straight seam for this, not a diagonal, though I know some prefer the diagonal seam. Do whichever you prefer. Those seams will most likely not be visible once the quilt is completely finished.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Just an FYI for anyone running as far behind as I am. Sat down to attach my DM borders this morning and they are TOO SHORT!! Significantly! In reading everything here, I attribute this to over zealous trimming of the blocks. The quilt center measurement is right on and everything else has gone well. Anyway, I am going to add a cornerstone star in the middle of each border and soldier on. Not my favorite choice but it's time for a new project!

Comment

Lynda: Mine are a little short too, I'm just going to add a small strip of fabric to each end, sort of floater style, before sewing on the cornerstone blocks.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. Mine are off enough....we're talking inches....that it will be no problem to insert a star in each border.

Comment

My quilt is being quilted. My delectable mountain borders were off 2 blocks off on each side.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 29 users online. 0 members and 29 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X