[vb_main_1]

confused on sizes of flying geese and DM borders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused on sizes of flying geese and DM borders

the flying geese border is 43 geese at 1.5 inches per "goose", right? and each border has an additional 3" for the corner. So that's 67.5 inches.

An earlier thread reports the Delectable Mountains blocks are 6 inches each, so the part that abuts the flying geese border is 72 inches, since there are 12 of them (from the pictures). So, that's 4.5 inches of difference, which would be filled up by a floater, but it would have to be 2.25 inches wide. In the picture of the quilt on the cover of month 0 pdf file, it sure doesn't look like such a wide floater ... and in fact, the picture shows 46 geese plus the 3 inches, which would total 72 inches exactly.

I'm wondering if we should be ready to add one or two more geese to each side ....?

Your math is not quite right. 43 geese on the sides is a 64.5" finished border. Top and bottom borders are 47 geese so that is 70.5" finished. In your post you said each border has an additional 3" for the corners--absolutely correct. What you forgot is that is 3" on both borders, top and bottom--there is the 70.5" figure.

Don't get ahead of yourself. The September 1 instructions will carefully explain the layout of the top and bottom borders--they are different from the sides.

The floaters that join the flying geese to the center are fairly narrow, depending on how perfect you are. I'm off by .5" so mine is slightly smaller than the perfect pattern would be.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

OK, that all makes sense, thx
      (BUT, I counted (several times) the geese in the top row of the picture from month 0, and there are 46 going one way and 2 going the other for the extra 3 inches.) I wonder if Carolyn's had "grown" a bit so she inserted an extra goose.)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 32 users online. 0 members and 32 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
      X