[vb_main_1]

Quilter's Select Print and Piece

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilter's Select Print and Piece

Hi all! Has anyone else tried using the Quilter's Select Print and Piece instead of copy paper? It looked so wonderful in the January TQS show and in other videos I had seen that I jumped in and ordered the 7-pack bundle. I don't know if it's just me or what, but I am really struggling with it and am very unhappy. It started out great, printed beautifully in my printer and was easy to sew on. Each section looked great...until I tried to remove the product to join the units. I tried wetting the seams like they suggest, and it still left a lot of fibers in the stitches, just tearing off a raggedy end. Plus there is a light fusible on one side, which seemed nice at first (to keep the first piece in place), but when I pressed the finished units with my full-size iron, it really fused the Print and Piece to the fabric and did not want to come off. I really wrestled with removing it from the stitch lines and the fused areas.

My halo block has really thick seams where the left-over fibers were still in the stitching. I was so frustrated by the time I got that block done, that I decided to re-do it and go with Sue's original instructions and use copy paper. So I tried the half-square triangle strips from month 2 with paper foundations, and it worked beautifully and came off like a breeze! I really think I should redo the halo block all over again using paper and hope I have enough fabric. I didn't buy the kit so that I could save enough money to splurge on the Quilter's Select bundle, but followed Sue's fabric choices fairly closely, using her focus fabric and color palate, just substituting a few prints I liked better.

Has anyone else tried this product? and how do you like it?? I'm so disappointed and frustrated that I am really considering sending the remaining 6 packs of it back for at least a partial refund if they'll take it back. What a disappointment!!!

Suzie Ellis

I have had the same problem! I am going to try to redo the month one block with paper, and HOPE that
    I have enough fabric in the kit to do it. Terribly disappointed in this product, as I have just loved other Quilters Select products.

Comment

Suzie1632, I had the same problems with the Select Print and Piece that you did. Luckily I had tried a sample block first, so it didn't affect the Halo Medallion block!

LindaFRS

Comment

Sounds like we feel the same. I won it at a giveaway at a TQS taping and was very excited to try it. YUCK and DANG IT is all I can say. All the problems you all mentioned were mine also.

When the new BOM started I was at Joann's and picked up a package of tear away sheets and it has worked great!!! The fiber is thin and prints and sews great.

Sharon in Colorado

Comment

Hey Everyone - It is true that when you wet the seams to remove the fiber there are little "left overs" in the stitch line - but for many people they prefer that to tugging at the seams to remove the paper. BUT - that said it is certainly a personal choice. The part that concerns me more is that there shouldn't be any fusible at all with Print and Piece. Please look at your packages and make sure it doesn't say Print and Piece fuse light. That is for a whole different process / finished applique. We want everyone to be happy, so if you would like to return your unopened packages we are happy to accept them back - no problem. PLEASE do check your packaging and let us / Rose know if the wrong product was shipped at tqscustomerservice@gmail.com. Also, I want you to know that Carolyn truly loves the product - there was no arm twisting there. So carry on and stitch!

Comment

Hi Alex and everyone!

Thank you all for your comments and support! I'm so glad I wasn't the only one! :S
            Alex, I just checked all 7 packs of the QS Print and Piece (1 partial and 6 full packs), and they ALL have fusible on one side, but nowhere on the packs does it mention it being the fuse light product. Since I must have inadvertently received the wrong product, I would like to return it. I will contact Rose at customer service. Thank you so much for jumping in to help!

I'm so excited to work on this wonderful BOM pattern -- I can already tell that it's going to be gorgeous, and I just love this pattern! Sue was an amazing talent.

Thank you again, Alex! You're the best!
            Suzie

Comment

YIKES!!!!!

Comment

I've been using the Select Print and Piece. My first try I had a problem with the "shiny" side sticking so tightly that it would not come off. I turned the heat down to medium (the package actually says you need to do that but I didn't read them first! - :P ). Once the heat was set properly, no more extreme sticking! I actually find the slight hold it gives helpful when placing the next piece. It does let go easily when you need to peel fabric back for the trimming.

I really appreciate Alex's kind offer to refund for unopened packages! However, I'm finding the product helpful in stabilizing the blocks and giving me a stitching line for the finished pieces. I haven't decided yet whether I will leave the print and piece in place in the finished quilt. After month 2, I'll decide. (I did test and there is a little fiber left when you remove with water but the seams still press really well.) The joy of this forum and TQS is trying new ways to get things done. Each of us will settle into what works best for us.

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

Mine has a light fusible side as well. I was disappointed that there was nothing in the instructions about this and how to handle it. I had to glue stick it to a piece of paper to get it to go through both my printer and my copy machine. Without the paper backing it stuck to the roller on both machines and was very difficult to remove. Then when I dampened it with a q tip the ink spread into the fabric. Perhaps this product needs more testing?
                  ALex, if it is not supposed to have any fusible I will send it back in the package with the instruction which came with it so that you can take a look. Don't worry, I STILL love your Quilters Select line!

Alexandria, VA

Comment

It is not supposed to have a fusible side - the fusible side is a little shiny - right? Lucky thing the owners are with me this morning....we will solve this! Also feed that sheet in one at a time....it is a fiber combination, not paper. (and that is why it has magic powers of disappearing). Stay tuned

Comment

Yes, shiny and I did try to feed single sheets but each time it got caught on the rollers. I tried with shiny up and shiny down and it didn't work either way.

Comment

I also had a problem with ink bleeding. I contacted the company (using a link on their website) and they were very responsive! The problem was the generic ink cartridges I was using. When I switched back to Canon brand the problem was solved. You need cartridges with pigmented ink in the cartridges.

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

I've found that if I set my stitch length to what Sue recommends in her video, that the paper comes off fairly easy. I just bought the one pack so will probably use something else after I use up the pack.

Comment

Awhile ago, I bought 6 packages of Ricky's Stable Stuff, am now just getting ready to start my BOM, and am considering using it for my paper piecing, is anyone else using Stable Stuff for this BOM? Or for any paper piecing project? Thoughts? Thank you in advance

Comment

I really like the Quilters Select Print and Piece. I tried wetting it when I wanted to remove it and it did leave behind a lot of fibers. However, I discovered that if I didn't wet it, when I removed it from the project it ripped very nicely and didn't leave behind so much fibers. Also if I creased it the ripping was much easier. I found I could get most of it out by picking at it with seam ripper or pin. I have not had any problems with pulling the pieces out of shape either. If I hold the piece by the part that still has the Quilters Select in it it works very well. Hope this helps those who are struggling with it.

Cindy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 40 users online. 0 members and 40 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X