[vb_main_1]

Quilting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting

Pauline, the beauty of the TQS BOMs is that you can do it your way. If you want to do quilt as you go, then do it! This is YOUR quilt.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Is there any reason not to quilt as you go and use the sashing already in the pattern to connect pieces? I feel strongly about doing all of my quilts myself. But I hate the thoughts of quilting that large of a quilt on my 440 (although I know its possible)

Comment

Thank you for the response, but I really am wondering if there is a reason not to. I don't want to start out quilt as you go and then realize too late there was a reason not to.....

Comment

Pauline - I have never done quilt as you go so I may be way off base. That method may create a lot of bulk when you are trying to attached borders that have a lot of seams and sharp points.
        I keep reminding myself that the medallion design means I can stop at a noce size of my own choosing!

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

One thing you can do is make the blocks for the first couple of months. This is actually a block surrounded by lots of borders, so I think you have time to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by "eileenkny" post=139126
            Pauline, the beauty of the TQS BOMs is that you can do it your way. If you want to do quilt as you go, then do it! This is YOUR quilt.
            Also, you will have the support of all of the TQS community to assist you!

Comment

That's for sure! Not to mention Carolyn Hock is a TQS member. I'll bet she'll be popping in now and again.

Comment

Glad to hear someone else asked about this as I was also thinking of quilting while in progress. I'll wait for a couple more rounds before starting though.

Comment

Yes! I'm glad for someone that is thinking this through also! I have been taught the traditional "quilt as you go" method, but have never done it. It is always demonstrated to connect blocks. This is different because we will be connecting borders. What do you think? Will it still work? I have actually been concocting in my mind another way to do it..... What are you thinking? How will you do it?
                  Also, what is the difference between reply and quick reply? Do you know?

Comment

Not sure about reply/quick reply. This is my first Block Of Month so I figure I'll know after a couple months rounds if my piecing skills mesh well with Sue's
                    design and patterns to keep the top flat as it's constructed. There is considerable potential for having a wavy quilt if using quilt as you go methods.
                    For a bed quilt that might not be an issue, but I like to enter shows with ones that turn out well. I've not done a pattern from Sue before, but have done
                    others that stayed flat as I constructed them, so hope this one does too.

Comment

I also plan to quilt as I go as I too, saw the potential in making this work. Nice to be able to discuss and get advice from others doing the same thing.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 270 users online. 0 members and 270 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X