[vb_main_1]

Pressing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressing

Becky - Beautiful star and wonderful fabric choices too.

Barb

In reading through the pattern, I don't see any mention of pressing the seams.
    At least not for this first month. Has anyone actually sewn the star together yet?
    How did you press it?

Comment

Bean 53 The only place I see mention of pressing was on page 9 but it is only on pressing paper pieced seams, not after you tear the paper off and sew all the sections together to build the block. I was rather disappointed in the Month 1 video, I thought she might give tips on the actual block. Her organization was impressive though.

I love the quilt in your avatar, what is the name of the pattern?
      Happy sewing
      Judy

Comment

I pressed the bulkiest seams open. I also tried to notice which way the seams "wanted" to go. I'm attaching a picture of the back. I would never presume to suggest mine is "the right way" but this worked for me. I notice some inconsistencies but these choices made sense at the time.

Becky

Comment

The center of the quilt behind me is a Mariners Compass from a Judy Mathieson class I took in Houston. Then I just added a ton of borders so sorry, there is no pattern!

Comment

Becky what size did your finished block measure? Thanks, Kim

Comment

The unfinished measurement is about 16 3/8". I'm sure I could release my main seams and get it dead on. I'm calling it "good enough" for now.

Becky

Comment

Becky... I can't quite figure out what I did wrong. Mine measures 15 1/2". The paper piecing printouts were to scale. Any ideas?

Comment

Great picture of the back Becky. I'm sure that will be helpful.

How about a picture of the front too please?

Comment

My first thought would be to triple check the scale on your printer. It should be 100% or full size or whatever your printer dialog calls it. My only other thought would be that your seam allowances were too wide. As I sewed my subunits together, I kept reminding myself to make the seam allowances scant. There's a lot of bulk in some of them so pressing to one side makes quite a bit of difference. I tried to make my block as flat as possible which meant pressing quite a few of my seams open.

Becky

Comment

Barbara,

Here's a picture of the front. I see a couple of places where I didn't match the seams. I'm trying to decide if redoing those will make things better or worse. I'm a little reluctant to fiddle with it.

Becky

Comment

Becky
                        Oh, that looks beautiful! Really like the colors.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Barb

Comment

Becky, the colors you've chosen are beautiful!

Comment

I agree with Becky, check your printer settings again.
                            I always do a sample block and this time mine came out at 16 instead of 16.5.
                            My friend Brenda said check the printer - turns out that was the problem!

Comment

Thanks, Beverly. I struggled with the choices but one of the ladies at the shop showed me a line of blenders that I hadn't noticed. That made all the difference!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 26 users online. 0 members and 26 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X