[vb_main_1]

2017 BOM Background

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 BOM Background

I'm planning on using the flower print as my focus fabric. I have had it in my stash for a while and I think it will work well. I saw Sue's on her blog when she first made it and it also had a large scale print. I'm not sure what to get for background fabric. I found this peach that I like. What do you think? I would love to purchase the kit for this but it's not in my budget. The rest of the fabrics will come from my stash. I'm thinking it will be scrappy. I will try and use the same sets of fabrics for a section like the stars or for the flying geese etc.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Sue
    Upstate NY

Your flower print is beautiful and you could pull the colors from that focus fabric to pick out your scrappy fabrics for the stars, flying geese, HSTs, etcetera. I would consider a Kona Snow (not a bright white) for your background. To me, the peach does not provide enough contrast to all that is going on in the borders. However, if you already have the peach in your stash and you have enough of it, you could wait until you get to the last outer border where, in the TQS version of it, there is the same fabric as the focus fabric in the setting triangles of the medallion and see whether the peach or the focus fabric looks best in the outer border.

I, too, saw the one Sue Garman posted on her blog in May of this year and I'm hoping to go with more muted tones, as Sue did. Haven't found my focus fabric yet, and I believe it will all hinge on that.

Comment

Thank you so much my hubby said the peach wasn't right also. I was just afraid there would be too much contrast using a white. White is what he thinks I should use.

Comment

Renata, I was looking at Sue's blog for the muted version and couldn't find it. Did you say May of this year? I love this BOM and love to see other color choices, but do like the fabric for this year.

I agree with Renata about the peach fabric, you can still use it, but a little.

Thanks,Sharon in Colorado

Comment

Yes, there is a photo in the May 2016 blog of Sue's Halo Star.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
          North Alabama, USA
          "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Hi there, I made Sue Garman's 2009 BOM for TQS. I loved making it and it has been a wonderful quilt. Her name is "June Cleaver on Acid."

I used 4 different backgrounds. Pink, Blue, Green and Lavender. I picked up many, if not most of the fabrics for the rest of the quilt as the year went on. There is definitely something to be said for having all the fabrics when you start, but I find it more fun to make it up as you go.

Enjoy the process!

Geneva
            Geneva

Comment

Thanks girls, I found it. It is pretty with green/pink/rose colors. Wish there was a pic of the entire quilt.

I also enjoyed the 2009 BOM very much and look forward to this one. I saw Geneva's beautiful quilt with a pretty ribbon on it at Mancuso in Denver.

Sharon

Comment

Sharon, sorry I didn't see your posting until now, but I'm glad that Barbara piped up confirming that Sue Garman's photo was in the May blog and that you found it. When I did a bit of a comparison between what I saw in the blog picture and the TQS rendering of the BOM, it almost looks like Carolyn Hock used the same colors but in a brighter, lighter version whereas in the Sue Garman photo, you see the same range of colors but more muted. If that is correct, then you could probably still use the TQS guide for fabric selection but pick more muted tones in the same colors as shown on the TQS sketch. At least, that's going to be my plan of attack, absent a photo of the full quilt as Sue Garman envisioned it. I did scour the internet for it and did not find it.

I'd be interested in seeing what you all are choosing for your focus fabric. I'll be concentrating on my choice after the Thanksgiving holiday.

Geneva, your 2009 BOM quilt is beautiful! You really gave a traditional design a more modern spin with the focus fabric you chose. Congratulations!

Comment

I'm off topic but wanted to share my focus fabric. My mom is an artist and I've always wondered if Spoonflower could turn her art into fabric. They can. :P

While searching my stash for a focus fabric with colors similar to Sue Garman's version, I noticed the little watercolor on my sewing room wall had the right colors. I scanned it and submitted it to Spoonflower. The fabric arrived today. It's lovely but will require some fussy cutting to get the big flower in the right spot. This will certainly make a special quilt.

I'm hoping to use a soft white for the background - there's some Kona Snow in my stash (Thanks to Renata for the suggestion).

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

Wendy, your mom's artwork turned into a beautiful fabric and will be stunning as the focus fabric. In looking at it, I can just imagine it going well with various values of violet and red-violet colors, including a small amount of magenta, along with greens and yellow-greens. I know there are other possibilities, but this is just what popped in my head when I saw your beautiful fabric, had to share it! What a fantastic, creative idea and you're right, it will make for a very special quilt.

Comment

Wow your quilt was amazing. I made the 2009 BOM but my was a hot mess. I was using a 1/4" foot that was more like a 3/8" seam so nothing fit together as it should. Thanks for posting it.
                      Sue

Comment

Wow your quilt was amazing. I made the 2009 BOM but my was a hot mess. I was using a 1/4 inch foot that was more like a 3/8 inch seam so nothing fit together as it should. Thanks for posting it.
                        Sue

Comment

I found a new focal fabric while pulling other fabrics for this quilt. I love this one so much and the white on white I have will work perfectly. I have enough of the focal fabric, the background and a deep red so I'm all set. The rest will be scrappy. Now I only need patience to get me through until January so I can get started. Good thing I'm working on a weekly mystery quilt until then.
                          thanks for everyone's suggestions
                          Sue
                          Upstate NY

Comment

Sue - Lovely focus fabric! The floral gives you many options for colors. Enjoy!

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

Sue, REALLY like your focal fabric.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 30 users online. 0 members and 30 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X