[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

BOM 2017

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a friend with an 830. She had many of the issues you discribed. She had to take the machine in for service. Think there is a software update that repairs many issues.

Best of luck. Happy sewing in 2017

Comment

Jean Robert, Welcome to TQS and the Forum!

I have taken my 830 in a few times for these issues. It sews for a short time and then goes back to the same problems. Once it was shipped off to Chicago. I will take it in again.

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!

Happy quilting,
      Judith

Comment

Judith.

I understand. I have two friends that traded their 830s for 770s. One was nice to loan me to try out in my great machine search.

Bernina was nice but the new ones are not the same as my 165e. I ended up with a Pfaff Performance 5 as my main sewing machine. It was the best option for me.

I am excited about 2017. I have only started quilting again after many years I am going to try this BOM. I really like the design. Never used a predesigned pattern in my quilting

I always used old Amish hand patterns. My favorite was always Grandmother Flowers Garden pattern for pieced quilts. But my favorite was whole cloth using traditional Candlewicking.

Using a sewing machine for everything is new to me. So exciting.

I am currently working on a lace quilt with over 1500 individual blocks. And I am going to start this BOM to try machine quilting from beginning to end

Want to wish everyone and yourself the best in 2017. Happy quilting

Comment

Judith, I have an 830 and it works wonderfully. i see you live in Lynchburg. If you could maybe make it to Rockville, Maryland, G Street Fabrics has the most wonderful tech guy there. Lew is simply a magician. I know of several 830s that were having problems that he set right. I think the very earliest ones had serious problems that they corrected by the time I bought my 830 LE. It has to do with the bobbin case area I think. I'd give G Street Bernina department a call and ask to talk with Lew to see what could be done for you. I know that's a hike, but may be worth it.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Judith -

So sorry your 830 acts up. My 820 had similar problems - especially the bobbin changing problem. After struggles with service at my home shop - I took Betty Jo's (and Renata's) tip. Lew at G Street fabrics serviced it wonderfully and resolved some problems. The remaining problems were resolved with a little help from the shop manager (Mei Ling). For the bobbin problem (gears symbol), you might try holding the bobbin up (preventing it from retracting) while gently turning the hand wheel. (This sounds really odd but it does work!)

Also - I had been treading the machine as directed by my home dealer but the thread path was causing upper tension problems. G Street fabrics staff showed me a better thread path and solved the tension problem. (Basically, ignore the silver adapter for stacked thread. It simply adds tension.)

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

Thank you so very much, Wendy and Betty Jo.
              You have given me hope!

Judith

Comment

I haven't chosen the fabric yet for the new BOM. I am getting ready to print the pattern. I usually paper-piece on Dollar Store paper, comes in a tablet. Similar to newsprint. I cut it to 8 1/2 x 11 and sew with a small stitch. It tears off very easily. I baste important seams first then use the small stitch. Especially when I did the 2009 BOM by Sue Garman.

Do you find using the Specialty Papers that stay in the quilt that much better? I have used them for applique but not for paper piecing.

Tearing off the newsprint type paper has never been a problem. I know some quilters, maybe Jacqueline de Jonge tear off the paper before she sews important seams together.

I've sewn feather stars before with just Dollar Store paper that worked fine. Just wondered if the Specialty Papers are better. Maybe I'll try Specialty Paper for the main star and Dollar Store paper for all the half square triangles.

Comment

Seattle Barbara

I usually use a Scan n Cut for my cutting. It has worked Excellent for me.

Comment

I watched Carolyn Hock's show today and now I want the kit! Have to figure out how I'm going to get it. I swore I wasn't going to make anything new this year, but I HAVE to make this quilt!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

If you are new to paper piecing or Sue Garman's patterns and techniques. The videos from the 2009 BOM Stars for a New Day are available in the classroom. Click on Learn, then classroom and scroll down BOM 2009 Sue Garman.

https://youtu.be/59UQYGCtpRY?list=PL2KgrcjsmR_iD_-mfw3org3czdzi1JNR_

In the Block 1 instructions. A "Paper Piecing Guide" created by Sue Garman is included on pages 23-26.

Comment

Judy FN

I didn't realize that the old 2009 videos were there. What a great tip. I will definitely go back and watch them, especially the paper-piecing one but probably all of them.

Sue Garman is such a great teacher.

Comment

highdesertquilter shared seattlebarbara2003's
                          16 hours 24 minutes ago
                          Just my opinion but I would just use the regular paper for the center star and remove it. I just finished mine and there is a lot of bulk in the seams I think it would be just too much with the specialty paper left in

Highdesertquilter
                          Thanks for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it and will keep that in mind.
                          It's been a long time since I've done such an intricate quilt and I remember how much the forum helped when I did the 2009 BOM.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by "JudithA" post=139014
                            Thank you so very much, Wendy and Betty Jo.
                            You have given me hope!

Judith
                            Please let us know if you finally get it fixed. I have such a wonderful machine in my 830 I want everyone's to work as well.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

What do you cut with your scan n cut?

Comment

I use Scan n Cut to cut all my block and applique pieces. It cuts perfect every time. Can even use a pen on difficult shapes to draw your seam for a perfect 1/4 on difficult shapes and corners

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 75 users online. 0 members and 75 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X