[vb_main_1]

November borders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

November borders

With the October borders added on, my quilt measures 54-1/2 inches. With only 27, 2-inch blocks per side, it can only measure 54-1/2. Am I missing something? Thank You.

Hi Floridora, I am not sure what the problem is. The instructions say that with these (October) borders added the top should now measure 54 1/2 inches square as yours does. I am looking forward to putting Novembers borders on to see how my colour placement is working. Interesting that we have only been given 2 sides for November, they must be saving the other two for December.

Comment

Thank you Margaret. I apologize. I knew I was missing something. The instructions have been so good. I guess I never got past the cutting directions. I forgot they would be cut bigger to allow for appliqué. We will do the next two borders in December. I did read that. LOL. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt pictures. This has been a fun quilt to make. Will you be tackling the 2017 BOM? It is beautiful.

Comment

I was sidelined Sept-Nov by a new grand baby and my parent's illness, but came back to Raja with renewed enthusiasm to tackle the 100 -2.5" square-in-squares! I went ahead and finished the last 2 borders ahead of December's instructions as I need to get on with holiday presents. Notice that I made 7" corner squares for the (4) 54.5" borders. I thought this would make a neater, straighter finish.
        I see that we had 43 forum members at the beginning of this journey and now seem to have under 5 active. I'm hoping there are more you working silently away and that you will share when you are done with this project. I have to say I'm glad it's over- all those 1" HSTs and 2" borders were a challenge. Now to figure out how to quilt this- I really want some ideas on that.

Keep going! it will be a memorable quilt with a great story. I'm going to make a pocket on the back where I can insert a short history of the original.
        Peg

Comment

Gorgeous Raja! Congratulations on finishing! I am still woefully behind, but I did finish the 2015 BOM top last week and I should have the top for 2014 BOM finished by mid December. Absolutely made myself finish older BOMs before getting too involved with 2016. BUT I really want to do 2017, so with my history 2016 should be finished in 2018 and 2017 in...

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Originally posted by "MSHendel" post=138712
            I was sidelined Sept-Nov by a new grand baby and my parent's illness, but came back to Raja with renewed enthusiasm to tackle the 100 -2.5" square-in-squares! I went ahead and finished the last 2 borders ahead of December's instructions as I need to get on with holiday presents. Notice that I made 7" corner squares for the (4) 54.5" borders. I thought this would make a neater, straighter finish.
            I see that we had 43 forum members at the beginning of this journey and now seem to have under 5 active. I'm hoping there are more you working silently away and that you will share when you are done with this project. I have to say I'm glad it's over- all those 1" HSTs and 2" borders were a challenge. Now to figure out how to quilt this- I really want some ideas on that.

Keep going! it will be a memorable quilt with a great story. I'm going to make a pocket on the back where I can insert a short history of the original.
            Peg
            Peg - Wow your top looks great neat idea to add pocket with history etc..
            Barb

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

I am still working away at my quilt! I have finished my November borders but not attached to the quilt top, yet. I have included a picture of my quilt up to last month.I am really looking forward to finishing the quilt but have decided to add a couple of extra borders to bring it to bed size so I can admire it every day when I make the bed :lol: All this work must be appreciated.

Comment

I can relate to your finishing older BOM's first. I try to finish a UFO quilt top before embarking on a new quilt. I am not always successful with this endeavour. I will admit I have only started one new quilt while doing this years BOM but when it started taking all my time that Tumbler quilt got put aside. Well maybe I can get back into it when this challenge is completed. Good luck with finishing previous BOM's.

Comment

I love next years BOM but I might pass on constructing it. This years BOM has taken much of my sewing time and I need to catch up on a few other quilts for family members. I have found this years quilt a challenge but a good challenge. I have learnt lots of new techniques and have more confidence making little block borders!

Comment

Peg your quilt is beautiful.
                    I am way behind still have one September border to put on. I have cut out the fabric for the October border but that is as far as I have gone.
                    In April; my dear husband had a bad fall and now requires 24/7 care. It took six months to get everything set up so that we can care for him at home. I now have caregivers coming three times a day to help with his care. Because he doesn't want me out of his sight I had to bring my sewing room into our dinning room where the lighting is terrible. OH well at least I can still sew which I find a great way to relieve stress. Ii doesn't look like I will get the quilt done this year. I wonder if we can still post pictures of our quilt when we get it finished even if it is in 2017

Comment

Dear Sewmea,
                      while dealing with my mom's decline (she's 94 and still trying to quilt!) I found sewing the BOM both a relief and overwhelming. I had to set it aside for 2 months as it was just too much- all those 2" sq in sq! More often I chose to work on small projects so I could at least be sewing and getting something done. I just wish I had time now to set up some good appliqué projects for hand sewing so I have something to do during the 5-hour ER visits! Things are settling done a bit (can't say enough about the hospice staff and their support of me and my mom) so I took some time for myself to finish Raja. Best advice I got was to jettison those things that don't have to be done right now (like your BOM- it will still be there in 2017) and focus on the here and now, doing little things to take care of myself. Ending the BOM in December is hard, too, with all the holiday obligations. We need a 10-month BOM!
                      Take care, Peg

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 36 users online. 0 members and 36 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X