[vb_main_1]

Half-size measurements

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half-size measurements

I did the first block for the wall-hanging size (half in width and half in height).

Here is my Flying geese finished block (well, not quite: still have to blanket stitch, but I did not choose the thread yet):

For the measurements:

I paper-pieced the flying geese unit, using this, drawn with EQ7 (sorry, can't load pdf attachments - anyone interested, let me know, i'll send it):

I made sure the drawn unit was 1 1/2 X 6 inches. You need to add 1/4 inch all around for the seam allowance.

The finished block (flying geese unit) is 2" X 6 1/2".

The background needs to be cut at 3 X 6 1/2 inches.

The "F" needs to be fused with margins 1/4" on the left, 3/4" on the right and 3/4" on top and bottom.
    The finished panel from edge to edge is 4 1/2 X 6 1/2.

This is great. Thanks for starting this thread.

Comment

Andree... that FG Block is just terrific. I did a test of the Army Star...turned out very cute ! But as My
      math seldom is very correct...it turned out 3.5 in. instead of 4.5 !!! :evil: :lol: :lol: Well..will try gain !
      It's is a new day ! eh?

Comment

Your block looks fabulous, Andrée

living in Central Denmark
        Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thank you!
          As a general rule, you need to subtract from the given measurement the seam allowances (2 times 1/4 inch) and then divide by 2, then add back the seam allowances (1/2 inch). I say as a general rule, because in some instance, I will not bother to try to calculate and I will do oversize and then trim back to the needed measurement.
          Example: in the Army star block, it calls for 2 squares of 3 1/2" (off white). You will then need (3.5 - .5) / 2 +.5 =1.5 + .5 =2".
          But, I think this one is oversized, so that it can be cut to the correct size after sewing the HST.

The center square, in a 4" finished block, should be 1", so really it should be cut at 1.5". If you follow my general rule, the pattern calls for a 2.5 X2.5".
          (2.5 - .5) / 2 + .5 = 2/2 + .5 = 1.5". That should work, but not on the appliqué (there is no seam allowance, so, just divide by 2)
          I should be trying this tonight on the army star block. I'll post my result as soon as I get there...

Andrée

Comment

Decisions, decisions

Andree, your FG block is beautiful! Does this mean you are done 2013 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by suehenyon
              Decisions, decisions

Andree, your FG block is beautiful! Does this mean you are done 2013 :lol: :lol: :lol:
              Thank you ops:
              I'm not quite finished BOM2013: all appliqués stitch for months 7and 8, I'm at the decorative stitches stage. Border 9 is on its way, all appliqués cut (except the center piece which I re-design - i'm not doing the 2-0-1-3). Will fuse that in place tonight...

I really wanted to help with the math (excuses excuses), maybe tonight I'll work on the "A" block as well...

Andrée

Comment

OK--I went about this by a lot of trial and error and error and error. I finally did the math to find one-half size of the block. Drew it on graph paper and then worked toward the inside. Still--my flying geese turn out to be short a 1/4". Don't know how it happened but I am hoping if I continue doing it this way--it should all fit together in the end. I will know more tomorrow.

Comment

Oh--I did the "G" block and ended up with the little square in the middle being 1/4" and the sashing being 1/4". Let me tell you--mistakes show up really quick when you do this small.

Comment

I finally got that Army Star block done ! I had missed the size on the blue rec.s on the first try ! :roll:
                    Got it done at 4.5 in. sq. and it's darn cute at that size. Did it just as Andree detailed earlier on this thread.
                    Thought I had some of the light backround....but not enough for the project ! Didn't some one find it and
                    give the site ? Haven't found it yet.

Comment

I got the light confetti from http://www.azquilts.com

I got the black confetti from http://www.thespiderswebfabricshop.com/

Other backgrounds came from another store, but I can't remember which one. Check http://www.quiltshops.com/ which lists a bunch of shops, thanks to NanaPie for that link.

Comment

Thanks, Sue...and NanaPie ! I couldn't remember who or where! :lol: Now to go shoppin" :wink:

Hope everyone is stayin' dry and warm ! Snow forecast for us in the "banana belt" next 5 days ! :roll:
                        Need it !! as we are at second driest winter ever !!

Comment

Originally posted by idaho
                          Thanks, Sue...and NanaPie ! I couldn't remember who or where! :lol: Now to go shoppin" :wink:

Hope everyone is stayin' dry and warm ! Snow forecast for us in the "banana belt" next 5 days ! :roll:
                          Need it !! as we are at second driest winter ever !!
                          It must be 'brass monkey' weather over in the States at the moment, we even had a weather update for USA on our news this evening, particularly referencing Chicago. Hope everyone is safe & warm and not suffering power cuts.

Comment

Web definitions
                            The phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" is a colloquial expression used by some English speakers. ...
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_weather

Thanks Rosemary, I just had to verify the definition! Yep, it's that cold, but missing those parts, my nose about froze off in the 100 feet to the mailbox. Only one pipe frozen, looking forward to Thursday when temperatures should be more moderate. We're getting forward progress on last years BOM

Comment

Originally posted by suehenyon
                              Web definitions
                              The phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" is a colloquial expression used by some English speakers. ...
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_weather

Thanks Rosemary, I just had to verify the definition! Yep, it's that cold, but missing those parts, my nose about froze off in the 100 feet to the mailbox. Only one pipe frozen, looking forward to Thursday when temperatures should be more moderate. We're getting forward progress on last years BOM
                              Hey! till "in the race"
                              Where are you at?

Andrée

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 60 users online. 0 members and 60 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X