[vb_main_1]

Thread shrinkage

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread shrinkage

I preshrunk the fabric that I used in my daughter's quilt, used 60 wt cotton thread to piece together. With the quilt finished I washed it in my machine on 'hand wash' cycle then, dried it on low heat. It came out with puckered seams. If I had used polyester thread would this have happened? What can I do to prevent this situation from happening in my next project?

Originally posted by "BleuRose" post=151599
    I preshrunk the fabric that I used in my daughter's quilt, used 60 wt cotton thread to piece together. With the quilt finished I washed it in my machine on 'hand wash' cycle then, dried it on low heat. It came out with puckered seams. If I had used polyester thread would this have happened? What can I do to prevent this situation from happening in my next project?

BleuRose,
    What kind of batting did you use? I have never heard of quilters complaining about thread shrinking, but it might. My guess would be that it might be the batting if you used a cotton batting. I had quite a bit a rumpled look when I washed this wall hanging last week in prep for putting the applique on it. I just find it easy to the quilting first, build the applique and put it on as a unit. To get rid of the rumply look, I used a press cloth(old sheet) and a lot of steam. It laid right down, and I it looks nice and flat now. When I am
    making a large quilt with warm and natural cotton batting I use the press cloth( wet) and iron the batting. It actually shrinks it some. My first time I washed the batting. Don't do
    that, it was a mess. You might try steam and a press cloth on a small area. When you stitch a seam and it draws up a little, by steaming it, it relaxes the thread and get rid of
    the little bit of gathering look. Good Luck. Hopes this helps. HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 74 users online. 0 members and 74 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
    X