Squaring blocks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squaring blocks

bbCode Help
    I find that my 6.5" semi-finished blocks are more than 6.5. (I cut so meticulously and made my seams a scant 1/4".) The blocks have a definite center piece. So I'm trying to figure out where to trim, while keeping the center piece centered and leaving enough for the outer 1/4" seam allowance. Any suggestions would be happily accepted. Thank you!

BleuRose, I can think of a couple options. If you used the same machine with the same presser foot and all blocks ended equally slightly larger, you could just use them as the actual size and make triangles based on your new slightly larger block. Or, If it is just a little bigger, I make a vellum (see thru paper) or tracing paper square 6 1/2 inches and
    mark the vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines on it . I center it on the block. I lay it on top of the block and use clear tape to hold it and the block to the cutting mat, and then
    trim. You can see thru the tape, and use your vellum over and over on all the blocks. The blocks do not move while cutting because you put tape on all 4 sides. My picture
    is not a slightly bigger block, it is just one of my blocks from the TQS BOM to use to show you what I am talking about. The third option would be to make the seams slightly
    larger if you have access to them without total deconstructing the blocks. It would help if you took a picture of a block sample on your cutting mat. Lay on the lines so we
    could see how much you are talking about squaring up. Hope this helps. HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 39 users online. 0 members and 39 guests.

Most users ever online was 141 at 03:13 AM on 05-15-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
    X