[vb_main_1]

Bernina BSR and Batik

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernina BSR and Batik

B) I'm using my 820 to free motion quilt on batiks. The stitch quality is not as good as I usually get. Could easily be me but I'm wondering if the tighter weave of the batik throws the BSR off a bit.

Anyone else experience this?

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Hi Wendy,
    I don't have a Bernina, but could it be that you need a different needle?
    Anne

Comment

I have found that my BSR performs differently depending on the fabric color. Makes no sense, but there's been prior discussions on this forum and others found that to be the case as well.

Comment

Thanks - Beverly and Ann. I'll search for the early topics on BSR. I may learn something useful since I continue to struggle with this. Probably need to take the training wheels off and be my own stitch regulator. :unsure:

Alexandria, VA

Comment

Hi Wendy, Batik has a very tight weaving, so , I suggest to use a sharp needle. If you are using monofilament thread, you have to lower the tention up to 1. I am quite confident with the sharp needle it should be fine. (I have a BSR as well)
          Chantal

Comment

Hi Wendy,
            First I would try a new needle. Superior's titanium top-stitch needles work well.
            You could also try quilting on a sample of other fabrics and/or batting -- some that you had no problem with before --- to see if it is the batik or the batting.
            Let us know how it goes.

Judith

Comment

Sometimes adjusting the tensions...both bottom and top...will help the BSR deal with different fabrics. I always make a sample and keep notes, trying different threads, needles, and tension settings. In general, you can make the BSR perform well, but it may take persistence and testing. I find for my 830 and BSR, that the Titanium top stitch needles make a big difference. Also, the size of the needle as it relates to the thread makes a big difference (70 for 60 to 100 wt threads and monopolies; 90 for 40 weight threads). Also, some shorter stitch lengths may help. Hope you can get it to work.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Wendy, I meant by using sharp needles "MICROTEX" needles.
                Chantal

Comment

Thanks all! I finished up the batik portions this afternoon.

The quilt is a star and each quadrant is a different color. I found the BSR performed best on the "least red" colors (ranging from pink to purple to yellow-orange) and just fine on the non-batik cornerstones. I'm fairly confident the challenge is the stitch regulation itself as the machine is not dropping stitches (solved that problem a year ago by switching to titanium needles and slowing down - reading the earlier BSR series of posts would have saved me a lot of headaches) and performs fine on the non-batik.

I'm sure Betty Jo is correct - if I were patient enough to work up samples in each color the results would be improved. My impatient self has decided to avoid BSR'ing Batiks in the future! With all the programmed stitches and the walking foot, I will be happy with simple patterns on batiks. :P

Alexandria, VA

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 89 users online. 0 members and 89 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X