[vb_main_1]

glue parts down

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

glue parts down

I recently viewed a show where they used a glue to help them glue their parts down for Appliqué. One show had you use Roxanne Baste glue. One I thought used fabric fusion watered down. what is best?

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Hello, Ttime! Welcome to TQS!

Comment

Thank you Nana Pie

Comment

Any water-soluble glue will work, like Elmer's school glue. I use a liquid glue stick from Office Depot. Roxanne's Glue Baste It seems to be a favorite because I've heard the tip doesn't get goobed up. Glue Sticks that are water soluble work. Some like the ones that glue on purple and dry clear, so we can see where the glue is. Dry the glue with an iron before sewing. Makes the fabric stiff as a board if too much is used, but it really does wash out.

In this year's BOM, we learned to use glue instead of pins, when piecing with tiny pieces. It works really well.

Welcome to the Forum!

Give up your name & we'll quit calling you Ttime

Comment

Thank You sue!

I was just look at the Bom I'm thinking of giving it try. But might make mine scrappy!

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Tina! You will have tons of fun if you do the BOM next year. The camaraderie in the BOM group is wonderful. I missed the 2014 BOM (because I was finishing 2013!) but I'm going to be rarin' to go for the new quilt on January 1!

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

Ttime, be sure to download all the BOM before the end of the year.
              Ditto about the comraderi! Did you check andree Bergerons half size posts. Wonderful!

Welcome janet

Comment

I always use Elmer's Washable Glue Sticks, and they work really well. I will probably also get some regular glue (with a tip) for smaller pieces, as the glue stick does get the whole thing (fingers included!) sticky sometimes, but it works so well I just deal with it.

I stock up at school supply time and keep them in my sewing room

Comment

I keep my extras in the freezer in a baggie...they don't dry out !

Comment

I like Roxane's basting glue.. it dries pretty fast.
                    but honestly i just use elmers white school glue. I use glue sticks.. an the regular glue.. you can buy a smaller applicator bottle and a metal tip with a really tiny hole at most craft store for way cheap.
                    the liquid elmers doesn't dry quite as fast, but you can iron it to dry it faster.
                    I use it both for applique and for binding. I have quilt guild members who even peice with it. use it to hold their peices together on the edge instead of pinning.

Comment

Hi kayakbabe and welcome to the forum. Do you quilt in your off season from kayaking or vice versa?

Comment

Wow, Kayakbabe, want to come to a virtual party & bring your kayak? If Rosemary brought her canoes, ya'll could give us old ladies virtual rides & help us in & out of the transports. Oops, sorry, off topic.

Great idea, Marilyn!

Kayakbabe, gluing pieces was one of the tricks Janet Stone had for us with the 2014 BOM. I really like that technique, especially when dealing with the fussy 1/4 inch seam of a flying geese block.

Comment

I'm interested to know about keeping glue in the freezer, is it just glue sticks or elmers in a bottle and do you need to thaw before using?
                          Pam

Comment

Hi ! Pemela...I just keep the extra glue sticks in the freezer...it keeps them from drying as sometimes
                            their caps don't do the job. I often buy them when on sale in pkgs of 6 or10...I do thaw a couple of
                            minutes and they soften up for use. Liquid glues in bottles havent been a problem.

Comment

Thanks Marilyn I'm going to give that a try.
                              Pam

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 127 users online. 0 members and 127 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X