[vb_main_1]

Raw edge applique

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw edge applique

I have a Christmas moose with a holly wreath around his neck. The suggested method to quilt is straight line raw edge applique. How do I straight line applique on such small and pointy pieces such as holly leaves and small berries? Do I try to straight line applique each and every piece or do I treat it as one large piece and sort of meander around?

Hi Chris,
    If you go to Pinterest and search for raw edge applique you will see many examples and ideas. While not my style, I've even seen this in big quilt shows. From a distance, it's hard to tell what you used. Are you fusing or gluing the pieces down first? If so, you could just free-motion a line around on top of the pieces.

Remember that patterns are only suggestions. If you want to put a blanket stitch, blind stitch, or other decorative stitch around the pieces, it's your creation.

Show us pictures!

Comment

Hi Susan, the pieces are fused. I typically use a machine appliqué for the edges but some of these pieces are really small with narrow pointy pieces in the wreath area. The moose is large so it is not a problem, but I am trying to think if there is an easier way for me to appliqué those tiny pieces down. Thanks.

Comment

I would try samples to see what you like the best. Sometimes, with little tiny pieces, using a 100 wt silk thread and a tiny needle enables better stitching. What's the end use of the quilt? Do you want the expense of silk thread? Will it be shown or for your own use. Will people see it up close? Stand back 6 feet and look at your samples. They don't have to be perfection if not in a show. Repeating some advice of Robin Gausbeck, award winning appliquer, TQS member , it helps to put a magnifier on the machine, too.

Comment

Thanks Susan. It will be just for my own use and will be hung on the wall at Christmas. Thank you for the advice.

Comment

Hi Chris, would you be able to post a picture here so that we can see what you are talking about? When you are posting a reply if you scroll down a little you will see 'upload attachment' and when you click on that it will give you options for choosing an image from different locations on your computer. Without seeing it it's hard to make any suggestions.

Comment

Hi Rita, I have attached a picture of the pattern. What I am particularly questioning how to do is the wreath around his neck. Hopefully, the picture is large enough that you can see it is a lot of small holly leaves and berries. What is the best way to machine quilt that part? The moose is large enough that I can do a machine applique stitch, but should I try to straight line stitch each holly and berry or should I meander the wreath using monofilament thread and hope that I hit everything and tack it down? Thanks.

Comment

I'd do straight stitch using a freemotion foot around each leaf and berry to give lovely definition. Try you'll enjoy the effect

Birds on the antlers are so cute

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

I agree with Wendy. Free motion quilting in that area will be fine

living in Central Denmark
                  Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Yes I also agree with Wendy. It's a lovely thing. I hope you will show it to us when it is finished.

Comment

Great! Thank you all for the advice.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 76 users online. 0 members and 76 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X