[vb_main_1]

Wool Felt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wool Felt

I would love to make a wool wallhanging. The problem I have is that I have not been able to find a UK supplier of woven, felted wool or wool for felting in a good range of colours here in the UK. I can get crafters 100% wool felt about 1mm thick without any problems. Is there any compelling reason why it would be a bad idea to use this instead? I don't intend to wash the wallhanging.

If it is for a wall hanging, I would suggest that 'anything goes'. It is only when an item that will be handled a lot and thus requires washing, that we need to start considering the more practical aspects of fabric types and their washing requirements. Although regular hovering of the finished item would probably be beneficial if it is not under glass.

Comment

hovering??? :? :? :?

Comment

hoovering=vacuuming
        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Thank you, Rosemary! There are lots of lovely shades of pressed wool felt available here. I don't think it will fray so may also be easier to handle than the woven felt. I do like the look of the woven felt, though. It is just too expensive to import from the US. xx

Comment

I've done lots of wool felt in the last 5+ yrs. Here, most of the craft wool felt is a blend of wool and other synthetic
            fibers....has it's advantages....works well most of the time and if you want some texture with it ...it can be washed gently
            and dried to give a more "wooly"" look. Just not as much variety in patterns and colors. Sews well and doesn't fray.
            Felted or fulled or boiled wool on the other hand is $$$ even here, and hand dyed even more so....I find much of mine
            comes from salvaged garments...2nd hand and the like. and even some knit clothing....I clean and felt it myself and
            occasionally over-dye to get color. Makes for beautiful projects....

Comment

Many thanks, Marilyn
              You've given me lots of food for thought! xx

Comment

I have used Magee woollen fabrics which I wash and tumble dry to felt them enough so that they won't fray. They were selling fabric bundles and fabric squares at Birmingham and will probably be at Harrogate as well as the Knitting & Stitching show in Dublin later in the year. They have fabric for sale on their website at €50 a 5 pack bundle which is quite steep but in appliqué one doesn't use very much. Each piece is about 30x20 inches. I think the selections they had at the show were bigger and better.

http://www.magee1866.com/donegal-twe...f-bundle-p2455

Comment

Recycling wool, Marilyn, great idea. Can we just go in the store & take a few snips? Do you have to keep looking? I don't see a lot of wool around here anymore, but then, you being in the Arctic & all, maybe people wear wool still? :lol:

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Prob'ly does help to live in the North...East, Central or West ! :roll: Lots of Pendleton Wool shirts end up
                      in the clothes dryer and get 2 sizes too small !! :lol:

Comment

Many thanks, Rita. I'm going to the Knitting and Stitching show at Alexandra Palace next month...so will have a good look around. Thank you for the website link - beautiful wool tweed! xx

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 82 users online. 0 members and 82 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X