[vb_main_1]

Pineapple Quilt - Foundation or Not

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pineapple Quilt - Foundation or Not

I'm working on a queen size pineapple log cabin quilt for my son. I rarely do such large quilts and I'm wondering if I should use a foundation paper pieced method of the more traditional route. Each block will be 17" when complete. It seems easy to square up to the right size after each new round of pieces is added but I'm concerned it could easily get out of whack. Any tips?

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Hi Wendy, Have you watched Gyleen Fitzgerald show 909 she shows you how to make pineapple blocks......I managed to make them without her ruler.
    Good luck
    Anne

Comment

Anne - Thanks for the tip. I just watched it (again). I had dismissed it the first time because of the size difference - my pattern is 1 and 5/8 inch strips and seventeen rounds. On second viewing I realized the cuts will be the same and much easier from the back!

Thanks!
      Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

I'd love to hear an update on your process and how this goes, with a picture!

Comment

Blocks are almost done. Thank you all for the reference to Gyleen Fitzgerald's method. Her approach to measuring was a huge help. (Will still need to block these but they are much more consistent thanks to the three reference points Gyleen uses.)

We're auditioning the corner triangle for each block. My son is leaning toward consistent medium green as shown in the lower blocks in the photo.

Any tips on the quilting pattern are welcome. I'm thinking a big circle around each gold outer edge (hard to describe but would be overlapping circles). The green would need quilting as well but maybe in the ditch???

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

Wendy, your quilt is gorgeous....sorry I can't advise on the quilting I'm not too good at that
            Anne

Comment

Lovely quilt Wendy! I'll check show 909 before I start my pineapple quilt in blues and creams/whites over the winter.
              Jeanine

Comment

That is a beautiful quilt!

Comment

Hi Wendy,
                  Love your pineapple! I like your circle idea quilted around the outer edge. Take a look at Quilt #1000309 (There and Back Again) in the quilt gallery. The quilter quilted outer circles as you're thinking but then added angled lines in the interior of each pineapple.

Barb

Comment

Wow Wendy, fields of Pineapples. I've not a clue how to quilt it. I've seen circles before which looked good.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Thanks to all for the encouragement.
                      Barb - "There and Back Again" is beautiful! I love the quilting and would not have gone there on my own.

Wendy

Alexandria, VA

Comment

Wendy,
                        Looking forward to seeing your quilted pineapples!
                        Barb

Alexandria, VA

Comment

Love your pineapples

Alexandria, VA

Comment

I don't know if you have quilted your pineapples or not yet, but I finally finished a twin size using Gyleen's method. I had never used a long-arm before so I took a 3 hour class and rented the machine for a day! I knew that I was going to do something non-linear and fun. I just played! I have a tendency to be very structured and I gave myself permission to do whatever felt right! It was a blast. Here are a couple of pictures of the quilt. I don't have any of it bound because I couldn't hang it myself for a picture and I just wanted it out of my house! The other thing was it was for a 7 year old and I figured she wouldn't be very critical of the quilting.

Comment

Wow, Brenda!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 163 users online. 0 members and 163 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X