[vb_main_1]

Unusual fabrics

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual fabrics

I know I've seen an episode or two on how to cut apart dress shirts and men's ties for string/strip piecing but for the life of me I can't find the shows! I want to make a quilt for my father using his old dress shirts and ties as a retirement gift but I can't remember how they recommended cutting everything apart to get the most fabric from each piece. I know I could wing it but I was hoping someone out there may have a suggestion or two about which shows to watch/websites to visit. I was hoping to make a log cabin or barn building block, but I don't know if I'll have enough fabric to make it the size I want if I don't do it right! I'd love for the entire quilt top to be made of his clothes rather than store bought fabric (or extra shirts/ties from good will).

Thank you all for your help!

Bonnie Hunter has a segment on her website on "Deboning a Shirt" http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...irt-movie.html.

Comment

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed! Just need to find something for the ties now :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Jdeluka
        Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed! Just need to find something for the ties now :-D
        Let us know if you do find something for ties... I've convinced my husband to thin down his silk tie collection and have plenty for a quilt! :lol:

Comment

I saw something this week on ties on the bulletin board at my local thrift shop. This woman took ties and somehow wove them & sewed them that way. She had made a pillow out of them. I can't share since it wasn't on-line, but you could try googling it.
          Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

For ties, you just need to remove the label on the back and then open up the back seam and point tips, easy-peasy. However they are usually made of a soft silk, so I would recommend that you use some iron-on interfacing to help stabalise the fabric. Also they are cut on the bias so you will have to take that into account when you start cutting them - you might need to piece them 'sideways' to get lengthways on grain strips - just knowing this will probably make it easier to work out how to incorporate them.
            Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

Your details are a good reminder, Rosemary, thank you. Carole, the weaving idea sounds intriguing--will definitely keep it in my hip-pocket!

Comment

Just to add to Rosemary's great advice(just what I would have said); after you take them apart--wash, dry and press them before putting the iron-on interfacing. I found when I did the tee-shirt quilts that I did that once the interfacing was on them I didn't have to worry about straight of grain--test it--you might get lucky.

Comment

Ritzi's plan worked for me yrs ago !!

Comment

Search google for necktie quilts and lots of sites come up. This one looked very interesting and informative...

http://www.ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/f...quilt-pattern/

Comment

Great advice from all! I also liked the necktie quilt in the URL you passed on, Marilyn---that would be one way for me to learn how to do a Dresden plate, wouldn't it?

Comment

You bet ! And they are beautiful ! I've seen several over the years ! I have to admit I have a bx of
                        ties waiting to become something !! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions! I've started breaking down the shirts and it's going well - much easier than expected thanks to your post Renata. Is there any specific interfacing anyone recommends? I really don't want it to be noticeably stiff in the final quilt.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 113 users online. 0 members and 113 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X